Abu atlantic 464 rod

quaks

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I have this rod, an abu 464 rated 3-8oz, 11.5 feet I think. It's about 20 years old (got it from an uncle) and it's still in pretty much perfect condition. It was top of the range and would have cost a fair bit of money in its day I think.

Anyway, it's the rod I use for a lot of my beach work but I am just wondering how it compares to rods of today. I have not much knowledge on this subject at all.

It was my birthday recently (17) so was thinking of buying a new rod. Would it be worth it?

I'd like to spend around £60 - 100, for that money could I get much better than the abu? My main priority would be being able to get a decent cast easily enough, can only get about 60/70yds with abu, (but thats me others could probably do better) and also reasonable bite detection.

Any help or info at all would be great,

col

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I have this rod, an abu 464 rated 3-8oz, 11.5 feet I think. It's about 20 years old (got it from an uncle) and it's still in pretty much perfect condition. It was top of the range and would have cost a fair bit of money in its day I think.

Anyway, it's the rod I use for a lot of my beach work but I am just wondering how it compares to rods of today. I have not much knowledge on this subject at all.

It was my birthday recently (17) so was thinking of buying a new rod. Would it be worth it?

I'd like to spend around £60 - 100, for that money could I get much better than the abu? My main priority would be being able to get a decent cast easily enough, can only get about 60/70yds with abu, (but thats me others could probably do better) and also reasonable bite detection.

Any help or info at all would be great,

col

:clap2: A great rod, top of it's range in it's day, I still have a 484, a slightly heavier, pokier rod. You should still get 100yds plus with it. You may or may not get more with a new rod, it depends on your style. It would be worth keeping and getting another rod as a back up. Try a few of your mates rods to see what you get on with before you buy. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ May 2 2006, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: A great rod, top of it's range in it's day, I still have a 484, a slightly heavier, pokier rod. You should still get 100yds plus with it. You may or may not get more with a new rod, it depends on your style. It would be worth keeping and getting another rod as a back up. Try a few of your mates rods to see what you get on with before you buy. :clap2:

As Norm has said, a great rod in their day, so was the Hardy Longbow and the Cod 4-5-6 and many others.

I still have my old 484 up in the loft but wouldn't fancy using it these days, not after using modern rods.

Compared to modern material of today and with rods such Zziplex, Conoflex and a few other top brands being so cheap, the old rods are well past their sale by dates. Bit like driving an old car.

Nowadays you can pick up a top of the range fishing rod for about £250-£300. If you feel that's a bit expensive, you can buy a blank and build your own, or you could look out for a good secondhand one. Sometimes there are a few Top range rods on Ebay under £200.

Thanks for your replies and info. What type of fishing do you think this rod is best suited to? I'll hang on to it anyway and kepp it on good nick. Will it be just as good/better for general beachwork (cleanish ground) with 4/5oz than rods today priced at around £85?

Cheers again, :thumbs:

col

P.S. how much around do you reckon this rod would be woth? Still has stickers and bag.

Think I saw one recently on ebay for £25?

Thanks for your replies and info. What type of fishing do you think this rod is best suited to? I'll hang on to it anyway and kepp it on good nick. Will it be just as good/better for general beachwork (cleanish ground) with 4/5oz than rods today priced at around £85?

Cheers again, :thumbs:

col

P.S. how much around do you reckon this rod would be woth? Still has stickers and bag.

Think I saw one recently on ebay for £25?

Old Abu`s not worth a lot. Not much choice back in 60`s 70`s for beach rods so most of us bought the 464 or 484 or the Cod 5 or 6 and no doubt many are still laying around in garages lofts etc. I still have a pair of 484`s not been out for years. Best rods of their era but that was a long time ago.

:yeah: I saw a new Shakespear K2 Team Extreme advertised on e bay at just £90.00, if I were you I would have a go with the K2. It will give you better distance on casting no matter what technique you use, and it has first class bite detection. I think the seller was Southend Tackle.

Tightlines

SASMAN :wallbash:

:yeah: I saw a new Shakespear K2 Team Extreme advertised on e bay at just £90.00, if I were you I would have a go with the K2. It will give you better distance on casting no matter what technique you use, and it has first class bite detection. I think the seller was Southend Tackle.

Tightlines

SASMAN :wallbash:

:clap2: The K2 is a great rod if it suits you, if it doesn't just get used to it and you'll like it. :clap2: