Yakity Tips

SeaDooDavid

Hi YY

Here is a pic of my tackle box that fits the tank well perfectly (gets all my gear and me flask)!. I tried tipping and righting it in the waves and no problem :) Just thought I would post the tip you gave me because I hadn't thought about righting the yak with a large crate!. I tried it with the one you saw on the pic and it was a right pig to get back over in shoulder depth water!. It had filled with water and was a dead weight and I had to really give it some to get it back. Like you say, add some big swell and could be a problem :(

None of us are too old to learn and I don't mind admitting I hadn't thought of this. Maybe posting this will get others checking :)

Cheers again YY for the advice and help oh yakking guru :bigemo_harabe_net-195:

All the best

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

p.s. tried side saddle and NO PROBLEM :yeah:

Hi YY

Here is a pic of my tackle box that fits the tank well perfectly (gets all my gear and me flask)!. I tried tipping and righting it in the waves and no problem :) Just thought I would post the tip you gave me because I hadn't thought about righting the yak with a large crate!. I tried it with the one you saw on the pic and it was a right pig to get back over in shoulder depth water!. It had filled with water and was a dead weight and I had to really give it some to get it back. Like you say, add some big swell and could be a problem :(

None of us are too old to learn and I don't mind admitting I hadn't thought of this. Maybe posting this will get others checking :)

Cheers again YY for the advice and help oh yakking guru :bigemo_harabe_net-195:

All the best

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

p.s. tried side saddle and NO PROBLEM :yeah:

oops forgot pic :huh:

Got a similar set up with straps for my marinecooler---I'll take a few pics tomorrow when I go for a fish :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

On my Scupper they didn't have any straps or bungee cord over the tankwell (only bungee cord right at the back in the rounded space behind the main tankwell area). I fitted some straps too to hold my crate.

Good point about the crate making rentrys harder. I haven't tried it myself but having made calm water rentrys, even without gear, reentrys in rough water could be tricky.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Got a similar set up with straps for my marinecooler---I'll take a few pics tomorrow when I go for a fish :thumbs:

Nice one Richi, interested to see, always interested in new ideas, think I may be a trainee tackle tart :lol::lol:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Hi speciman, I learnt a good tip, believe it or not, off a sticker on my jetski!!! They are a bugger to right and it suggests yo lean right accross grab handles, anchor trolly lines or the like and use the weight of your body and the next wave to get it over. It works great but you have to remember to faal backwards so the boat doesn't hit you (and hold your breath ha ha). This is only for serious problems though!. I tried it today with the tackle box (with mock gear inside about the same weight) and it righted with a simple flip (sea was only a slight swell though).

Worth practicing I think :thumbs:

Cheers

SDD~~~~ :sun:

here's the pics I promised SDDcoolbox16pb.th.jpgnotice the shock cord in red that keeps the lid closed in case of flip coolbox26vv.th.jpg

not my idea I'm afraid I saw something similar on a U.S. site

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph