Scupper Pro rod holders

jerseyram

Hi guys

I read somewhere the the angler edition SPTW rod holders were too square to the body of the yak making it very difficult to paddle and troll. I would appreciate any comments that you may have on this matter

PROWLER 13 - RED

Jersey, C.I.

The rod holders on the anglers edition are fit at a 90 degree angle to the kayak..they're usable if you are anchored up but are no good for trolling as the paddle blades hit the rods (unless you use a shorter paddle arch which can also help keep trolling speeds low).

Don't let the rod holders put you off though.. its a great kayak and you can also buy a standard edition and fit them yourself. I use both the flush mounts and RAM tubes on my anglers edition.

If you forsee yourself taking lots of gear perhaps looks at the P15 instead.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Thanks

Presents a bit of a worry. My first yak and I don't want to start cutting it up! I suppose unless you are willing to 'pimp it up' you should expect to get everything you want. I'm now a bit worried about that phrase

PROWLER 13 - RED

Jersey, C.I.

Jerseyram - is that a Welsh flavour to your name?

The Scupper Pro is a brilliant kayak - lower in the water than the prowlers and so it catches the wind less. Also very good glide and easy through the water, but it is quite a bit slimmer so if you have a bit of middle age spread you might like the extra room of the prowler (trying to be diplomatic, in an east german sort of way).

For some reason, even though it was pointed out at an early stage the rod holders on the Scupper Pro are put on at 90 degrees - it is nothing to put them on at an angle but the bloody Tunisians continue to slap them on square. It does mean you have to alter your paddle stroke - but for the better. You shouldn't be taking your paddle beyond your hip anyway - once the blade goes past your hip at 90 degrees you are NOT using it efficiently - if you watch the blade once it has gone past your hips you will see that it rises in an arc - so if you paddle beyond your hips you are, in effect, shovelling water upwards - you should be drawing the kayak forwards.

To paddle efficiently imagine the paddle blade being planted firmly behind a rock and then pull the kayak to the blade - you should not be drawing the blade through the water to the kayak!

I use the rod holders in my Scupper Pro for trolling - or for stowing them when I am paddling out to a mark. It isn't actually intrusive if you paddle properly.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Jerseyram,

Is the ScupperPro your first kayak, do you have any kayaking experience?

I only ask as I spent the weekend with a fisherman new to kayaking, he was borrowing the ScupperPro, yes he did go for a swim and quite early on, to complicate matters he was dropping anchor at the time. Luckily there were people at hand to give him some encouragement and guidance on getting back on the kayak, which he managed three times, but only managed to turnaround on the final attempt, this was in calm conditions.

My personal point of view (and I await the onslaught) is that the ScupperPro makes an excellent second purchase or first purchase to those with some paddling under their belt. If you are going to paddle alone be aware of the problems you may encounter if you tip her.

Something also worth considering is the type of PFD you wear, the gentleman above had a whitewater overhead entry style PFD with a lot of foam around the front (belly), this caused a lot of problems getting back onboard as it rode up towards his head, although it was fitted correctly.

And yes I have paddled one before anyone asks.

If your in any doubt you can handle the ScupperPro take a look at the Prowler 15, very user friendly and will paddle at a very similar speed.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Jerseyram. I fell out of a Caper anchoring but I have never fallen out of my Scupper and I have put it through some decent tests.

Yes I have paddling background from years ago but as i said I fell out of a Caper. Does that make it unstable.

Anchoring is a skill in itself.

Try one and make up your own mind.

Notice he never fell out of it twice even as a novice.

Has any Scupper owner parted company with their yak whilst paddling?

Let the debate ensue, Ive got to pack for trip.

Oh if Richi gets on tonight ask if he can post a picture of the Bog Pipe Special. It is an option that looks so so but work brilliantly. Got to go but will see if I can explain more fully on Friday

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Ah yes, but you were only in 2 ft of water in the Caper and am sure you only did it to make me laugh :D

My point is not the falling out, it's the getting back in, try it and let me know how you get on.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Its just like everything there is a technique that once learnt is never forgotten.

Shame he didnt fall out a second time. Could have seen how many attempts it would have taken.

You are just trying to stop me from packing :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Jerseyram

Sales people may try to steer you away from the Scupper Pro - the P15 costs more, availability may not be as good as the P15 plus the P15 is Ocean Kayaks newer model ;)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow