An evening of variety

WickerDave

I had an interesting evenings fishing yesterday, it was one of those days when the float dipped and you could play "guess the species" before the fish surfaced.

The first five fish were all different species. The final tally was:

Just the one: Roach, Chub, Crucian, Golden Tench

More than one: Rudd, Tench, Perch, Carp

The crucian was my first for quite a while, and a chunky one at 1¼lb. The carp came on in the margins towards the end of the evening and the last one at closing time was the best, a superbly conditioned 11lb linear.

• 3 weeks later...

Even more variety from the same venue yesterday evening. All of the above minus the crucian, plus bream, barbel and a roach/bream hybrid. The only fully scaled carp looked like it had been sat on, so with the odd body shape, small mouth and concave dorsal fin it was probably a crucian hybrid (3lb+).

Even more variety from the same venue yesterday evening. All of the above minus the crucian, plus bream, barbel and a roach/bream hybrid. The only fully scaled carp looked like it had been sat on, so with the odd body shape, small mouth and concave dorsal fin it was probably a crucian hybrid (3lb+).

Hi. Was that Peatling by any chance? Managed a couple of hours at the begining of May, had a nice carp and a fair few roach and perch. Sadly the weather (and to a lesser extent the wifes social callender :wallbash: ) have been against me.

You're still around then :blink:?

Yes, Peatling. The novelty fish are getting bigger and all looking very healthy, last nights barbel was about 12oz and I've had chub around 8oz and golden tench around 10oz this year. There's too many 2-4oz perch in the three peg swim margins this year though, they are a bit of a pain as they tend to swallow the big lumps of luncheonmeat.