Worms

lopex

I have loads of medium to large lob worms and plan to use a few of them together on a hair to catch large carp!!

I am toying with idea of using a korda maggot clip or maybe threading the hair though the worms or maybe using pellet bands?

Any advice on hooks, hookslenghts, etc etc very welcome?

Edited by lopex

Hi lopex,

I would reccommend the large korda clips as you should be able to get 2-3 large lobs on these. As for hooks I would go for at least a size 4. Hooklinks need to be matched to the size of fish expected and whether you are fishing near snags etc.

Be warned though when using lobs on a hair or a clip they do move the hook around quite alot and can mask the point or tangle the hooklink.

Good luck

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I would either use the maggot clip or just hook them through the saddle

Never hook worms through the saddle, they will die more quickly.

Best to hook them a little bit down from the saddle.

Also be careful that they don't burrow into the bottom.

(Recently I left a hooked worm on the ground whilst I filled my feeder, by the time I was ready to cast the front end of the worm was already well into the ground!)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I wouldnt reccomending hair rigging them either as all they do is tie the hole lot up in a knot,often around the hook length.Tried several ways especially when using big hooks for cats.

Leon makes a good point about them burrowing into the bottom.When I use half a dozen big lobs for cats I use a small poly ball to stop this happening.You can mount it on the line against the hook eye or on a very short hair tight to the bend.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Medium lobs and any-size dendras I hook through the head only (threaded directly on the hook). If a centimetre or so is snipped from the end of the tail, it discourages them from burrowing tail-first.

Large lobs I tend to use halved: the head section threaded direct on the hook as already described.

At first glance it looks as though takes would be missed with three-quarters (or more) of the worm's body extending beyond the hook, but in practice misses are rare.