Question to the forum: Canal Fishing Help

Julian

Hi all,

Can anybody help with this visitors question to the forum?

The Visitor has been directed to this thread so could any answers / help be posted below. Cheers, Julian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I came across a stretch of canal that has not been fished for years I could see loads of fish 1 night carp on the surface swimming happy and what I think is rudd or maybe roach everywhere, problem I’m having is that I cant seem to catch any I've fished it 5 times now with a selection of boilies, maggots, sweetcorn, bread and not a touch I’ve tried fishing it first thing in the morning and last thing at night the fish don’t seem to want to know. I spoke to a local landowner who told me that maggots are what I needed as many people fish this canal in Cheshire and catch but not on this stretch can you give me any advice?

Kind Regards, James.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

if there on the surface chuck a few dog biscuits in but dont cast your bait out yet, give the carp time to feed when they start to feed confidently then cast your bait out. as the fish are wild they will prefer natural baits such as maggots, worms and casters so give them ago. also if a lot of people feed the ducks bread then a good shot would be fishing flaoting bread. hope this helped pal :)

Stick it out and you'll catch the carp, just don't expect to catch a bag full.

If possible start fishing an hour before dusk and through till the early hours, my own experience tells me that this is the best time but you might find a pattern where you will get most bites within a set couple of hours.

If you have enough room on the towpath without blocking it off to other users, then use two rods, one at a predetermined carpy looking spot on the far shelf and the other as a roaming rod cast either side down the middle or even the near shelf if it is quiet. A savoury boilie, pellet or meat hair-rigged along with a pva bag recast every hour or hour and a half seems to work well, always seems to work better than fishing over alot of freebies.

Being quiet and waiting for a patroling carp to pick up your bait is what you are looking for, very unlikely you'll get a number of fish competing.

Really it's just a case of finding a good spot and the right times and being patient, but the rewards are there in the shape of previously uncaught fish in fantastic condition and some surprising biggies, best of luck and enjoy. :thumbs:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.