Quest for a new PB Carp

Rob Ward

I would go back to the original point.

You want to catch a PB and your water holds them. Why do you need to fish at distance?

Just because everyone else does means nothing....a lot of 'distance' fishing is purely fashion and so is the gear supposedly needed to do it.

There is a kind of 'macho' streak in Carp fishing mainly brought about by the tackle trade and their allies the carp comics.

If everyone fishes at distance you may be better off fishing close in....may give you the 'edge' (as it is often called).

Don't fall for the hype.

If you want to spend your money then spend it on a good fishery rather than tackle that will, no doubt, be out of fashion in a few months.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one thing not mentioned about long range fixed spool casting.I have always found the length of the spool more important than the width. The whole reason the size of the spool is important is basicly to reduce the amount that the level of the line drops during the cast below the lip of the spool.So reducing the main source of drag/friction.

On the subject of big rings v small rings,scillicon carbide v aluminium oxide etc etc it makes no practical difference to your distance.

As briefly touched on the "short cuts" to LDC are as fine a diameter line as possible,a shock leader,correct tackle but above all correct casting technique.A correct technique in its most basic form is just adopting a style that increases the arc that the rod travels through.The standard "overhead thump promoted by the carp world is probabley the most ineficient way of achieving this!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I would go back to the original point.

You want to catch a PB and your water holds them. Why do you need to fish at distance?

Just because everyone else does means nothing....a lot of 'distance' fishing is purely fashion and so is the gear supposedly needed to do it.

There is a kind of 'macho' streak in Carp fishing mainly brought about by the tackle trade and their allies the carp comics.

If everyone fishes at distance you may be better off fishing close in....may give you the 'edge' (as it is often called).

Don't fall for the hype.

If you want to spend your money then spend it on a good fishery rather than tackle that will, no doubt, be out of fashion in a few months.

I'm sure you mean well and thanks for taking the time to comment but please read my original post - I said "in some swims" distance casting is an advantage in this case to be able to reach the margins of the lakes Island which holds a lot of fish - I know this because I've spent a few evenings over the last couple of seasons perched up a tree watching them. Please don't jump to the conclusion that because I've asked a question regarding distance fishing I'm just following the herd - far from it. I fish three rods on this water, two of which are invariably in the margins.

I'm sure you mean well and thanks for taking the time to comment but please read my original post - I said "in some swims" distance casting is an advantage in this case to be able to reach the margins of the lakes Island which holds a lot of fish - I know this because I've spent a few evenings over the last couple of seasons perched up a tree watching them. Please don't jump to the conclusion that because I've asked a question regarding distance fishing I'm just following the herd - far from it. I fish three rods on this water, two of which are invariably in the margins.

Why do you need to buy new gear then?

Phil - again thanks, I agree on the shockleader rule it makes no sense to me either but doesn't surprise me given that this is the same comittee that stipulates a minimum of eight pound line for Pike Fishing. :wallbash:

Budgie - r.e. the reels, thanks that's what I was after. The spools on the Shimano's I'm looking at are about half as long again as those on my Daiwas. They're not top of the range models, I've seen them going for around £70 a piece so I reckon they could be a worthwhile investment. The Daiwas have seen better days!

Edited by Rob Ward

Why do you need to buy new gear then?

I've had my current reels for about five or so years, they've done me proud but seen better days and as I've mentioned above I can see situations where adding extra yards to my cast would be an advantage. I'm not talking about spending silly money for the sake of it.

re: brolly systems - we're still gathering more information, with Chub and Fox being added over the coming days, but there are a few to look at here:

http://www.bivvies.co.uk/Brolly-Systems/

Cheers for that Elton, I like the animations of putting the bivvies up!

I had a look at the Fox Evolution and the Chub Reflex systems today, I've gone off the idea of the brolly as the brolly mechanism encroaches too much space inside. The Evolution wasn't bad but you have to buy everything seperately which drives the cost up.

Edited by Rob Ward

I use the JRC stealth brolly and the stealth plus.

Wordbender has a review of the original model on here somewhere.

The only change they have made is that it is now made with 5000 hydro material.

If you do a search I have raved about the stealth.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Elton, despite you only mentioning this new venture of yours recently I had forgotten all about it! Just had a look though and I reckon its going to be a real winner. Couple of suggestions of things I would find very useful on the site-

1. A photographic comparison of all the different bivvies next to each other. This would be great when trying to work out which ones dimensions would be best. Could stick the same bed chair in each to help?

2. Same as above but showing them packed away. Give you an indication if it would fit in your sling/holdall.

3. Most importantly stick something up on AN so I don’t keep on forgetting about all these new things!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!