Sigma lenses.

Steve Coppolo

Kit lenses ain't that bad . . . ? for the likes of me, that is. I have regularly published photos, ;)

But your kit lens seems to be made by Nikon, not Canon maybe that is why it isn’t so bad mate?

FWIW i have had photos published using the Sigma 18-125mm which isn’t the best lens in the land, its pot luck as to how good it performs, i am not a raging camera queen or owt, I don’t lust after L lenses, i am just of the opinion the canon kit 18-55mm lens is poor both optically and in build, you need to find its sweet spot to get it anything like, although i can understand if someone has moved up to DSLR from a compact why it could be seen as ok.

I am a great believer in it is your eye that takes the photo, the camera merely records it but the lens can help to make a good picture jump off the screen or off the paper at you.

Thanks for all the advice. I've since spoken to people who own Sigma lenses and they seem well pleased with them. From what I've read and heard the Sigma will do everything that I need it to do. I'm not a fanatic and I don't need extreme quality. All I want is something that does the job for a reasonable price.

I've read a lot of negative things about the Canon kit lenses, but to be honest, I think mine takes fantastic photos. That means that either I can't tell a good photo from a bad one, or the kit lenses aren't as bad as people make out. Which ever it is, I feel that the Sigma will be good enough for me.

Thanks again for the advice.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

But your kit lens seems to be made by Nikon, not Canon maybe that is why it isn’t so bad mate?

FWIW i have had photos published using the Sigma 18-125mm which isn’t the best lens in the land, its pot luck as to how good it performs, i am not a raging camera queen or owt, I don’t lust after L lenses, i am just of the opinion the canon kit 18-55mm lens is poor both optically and in build, you need to find its sweet spot to get it anything like, although i can understand if someone has moved up to DSLR from a compact why it could be seen as ok.

I am a great believer in it is your eye that takes the photo, the camera merely records it but the lens can help to make a good picture jump off the screen or off the paper at you.

OK mate, yes you are right, I am a Nikon man, have been for years. I started in magazine writing/photography with Nikon nearly 20 years ago? However, making the best of what you have got is what its all about in my book. Sigma + the kit Canon for the time being should do Steve or any one on a steep learning curve. In the world of fishing we have 'Tackle tarts' guys who have got to have the latest and greatest in the form of reels and rods, money no object! I don't see Steve as a photographic example of this type. Hence my measured comments re kit lenses; we enjoy!

CJS2

go for it steve mines never off my nikon.

and photos are good enough too sell.

best of luck.

regards

ian

Yes, would agree with that, I'v been doing it for nearly 20 years, lol! Not had the same Telephoto for that long mind? it does not seem that long :unsure:

The pics from the kit lense that you showed me looked OK Steve.

Cliff :ph34r:

remember what they say its not the equipment its the person using it ( but it does help).

i can think of two guys using sigma for all sorts of photography.

i too lust after lenses i have loads of pinups all over and guess what they all say ?"you can't afford me".

go buy the sigma and have some fun.

then see the brilliant results these lenses can give you.

i know some are going too say they aren't good but would you rather have fun cheaply or pay as much as a car and dare not get the thing out (remeber rain'dust and all the other considerations when out having fun).

let us all know how you get on.

regards

ian

Edited by bikerian

remember what they say its not the equipment its the person using it ( but it does help).

i can think of two guys using sigma for all sorts of photography.

i too lust after lenses i have loads of pinups all over and guess what they all say ?"you can't afford me".

go buy the sigma and have some fun.

then see the brilliant results these lenses can give you.

i know some are going too say they aren't good but would you rather have fun cheaply or pay as much as a car and dare not get the thing out (remeber rain'dust and all the other considerations when out having fun).

let us all know how you get on.

regards

ian

That just about says it all.

Thanks Ian

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.