egypt trip (Red Sea)

sheanyboy

Just got back from a exploritory fishing trip in the Red Sea off Hurghada Egypt.

5 of us stayed on a boat for 6 days and travelled up the Suez Channel mainly trolling but also bottom fishing and specifically using poppers for Giant Trevally. The weather was against us for most of the time and the wind made it very difficult to anchor above deep water reefs. However, the wind dropped on the last day and we managed to use the poppers as the water was calm over the shallow reefs. The results were spectacular with me landing my first GT of around 50lb, which gave me an unbelievable fight as it tried to get back into the reef.

Overall this place has a lot of potential and is very cheap when compared to other big game destinations, although we hads to take most of our own tackle. We also did some cracking snorkelling and for those who like species hunts then we nmust have caught well over 80 different corel reef fish (Only keeping a few for the table)

This the best fish of the week a Popper caught GT of around 50lb.

All the best

Seanyboy

Fishing Club Alegranza (UK)

egypt06018_edited-1.jpg

Sounds like you had a good trip and thanks for the great photo. That must have been some battle.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just got back from a exploritory fishing trip in the Red Sea off Hurghada Egypt.

5 of us stayed on a boat for 6 days and travelled up the Suez Channel mainly trolling but also bottom fishing and specifically using poppers for Giant Trevally. The weather was against us for most of the time and the wind made it very difficult to anchor above deep water reefs. However, the wind dropped on the last day and we managed to use the poppers as the water was calm over the shallow reefs. The results were spectacular with me landing my first GT of around 50lb, which gave me an unbelievable fight as it tried to get back into the reef.

Overall this place has a lot of potential and is very cheap when compared to other big game destinations, although we hads to take most of our own tackle. We also did some cracking snorkelling and for those who like species hunts then we nmust have caught well over 80 different corel reef fish (Only keeping a few for the table)

This the best fish of the week a Popper caught GT of around 50lb.

All the best

Seanyboy

Fishing Club Alegranza (UK)

egypt06018_edited-1.jpg

:clap2: I spent 5 months in the Red Sea/Persian Gulf and the fishing was fantastic, both from boat and shore. Wahoo, Dorado, Red Snapper, Sharks, Grouper, Big black bream type things, Moray Eels, Rays, Scabbard Fish, you name it and it was there. I don't know if the Gulf war affected it but it was very good and very cheap. Perhaps it's worth an exploratory trip, better take the flack jacket and tin hat though. :clap2:

Fishing the read sea is actually illegal or so I thought. Been there a few times on holiday and i was told by a number of different people i.e local authorities, lifeguards, police etc that rod and line fishing was a big no no as this sea is highly protected. I was told that it was possible to hire a boat but its a black market type of affair and i would risk imprisonment if i got caught! I'm confused now can someone clear this up! <_<

Edited by solent fisher