Marker Floats

Polly

Lost my large MCF marker float a few weeks ago and bought an identicle but much smaller version (also MCF) to replace it. The packing said for use with leads up to 3oz which I thought would be fine. I use Fox braid specifically for marker float work so all is well except for the fact that the smaller float will simply NOT rise to the surface which more-or-less renders it useless. I'm only casting 40-50 yards so surely it's not the weight/drag of the braid stopping it coming to the surface. The lake is not tooooooo weedy but to counter that I've tried using the lead on a stiff boom (without sucess). Reckon I'll just have to scrap the small float (anothe £6.99 wasted) and look for the bigger brother!!! Has anyone seen or used the MCF "lighthouse" marker float? or can anyone suggest a truly bouyany (and robust) option.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Have you tested it in the margins?

Could be that the lines getting twisted and not allowing the float to rise or it could be getting buried in silt?

Yep, works fine close in (under rod tip) in approx 2-3ft of water. Bottom of lake is a tad weedy but not silted up. Lines twisting on the cast is a possiblity but I have used a stiff boom to try and overcome this.

If it rises in the margins I don't see why it shouldn't in deeper water so I reckon it's either line twisting, it's not bouyant enough to get through the weed or it's getting dragged down into silt.

To help avoid the line twisting around the lead make sure the lead has a swivel attached, especially if it's one of those marker leads with a stem. I've found though that when the line twists it usually stays that way on the retrieve so you should know if this is your problem.

Depending on the make up of the bottom you might want to try a lighter lead if it's silt or a more bouyant float in weed, to add more bouyancy without buying a new float thread a couple of cork balls onto a length of amnesia or similar and tie your float to this. This way it wont get dragged down as deep into the weed and will have a little extra to poke it's way through. I usually make the rig up so the float with the amnesia attached is two feet in length to keep things accurate.

Edited by Rob Ward

Have you tested it in the margins?

Could be that the lines getting twisted and not allowing the float to rise or it could be getting buried in silt?

Hi Polly

If your still having problems, give Ian a ring who owns MCF and see if you can get some advice from him, he's a good guy, fished a social week end with him at waterbeach barracks last year and he was more than helpfull with advice and tips etc, if you can't get hold of his number, speak to Lee or Ian at Cambridge Carp Cabin, they should point you in the right direction how to get hold of him.

Edited by trevor2003

Thanks guys, good advice here as usual. I'll give the Carp Cabin a ring.

To be honest I'm starting to wonder if Markers are more trouble than they're worth, I can't say it's had a positive effect on my carp fishing since I've been using one - if anything the opposite! :(

They're good for finding bars but if you're just looking for a clear patch I reckon you're better off just leading around - I'm convinced Markers spook Carp.

Edited by Rob Ward