Going fishing at Tywyn Thursday - Saturday

phooey

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Having a break from Mullet for the next couple of weeks. To be honest Im loving the challenge but I am making it difficult for myself because I only want to catch one thats in an area that only a yak can reach. Suppose I could just drop her in a marina but seems a bit pointless if you could have also fished the spot from the shore.

Think I might be being a bit of a purist. Will see how desperate I get. :fishing:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Good luck with it Paul,

I know what you mean about having a challenge and some of those open shore mullet I reckon are as big a challenge as you can get :blink:

That fish the littl'un got was admittedly in a harbour where the fish are used to bread and chips and whatever else being thrown in, and are fairly easy but the fish I got on the fly is open coast where they are not accustomed to human intervention in terms of freebies but will switch on to bread in a matter of minutes and not after weeks of pre-baiting. Then if you move a mile down the coast there is a beach of similar character with little disturbance from people where the Mullet are there in some numbers but won't look at an anglers bait.

I believe they are probably the same shoals of fish but for some reason they will positively attack the bread baits in the one place but totally ignore them at the other. Why?

When we see them at the impossible beach they always appear to be swimming purposely through in midwater in good numbers but won't stop to feed, then once they reach a fish processing plant midway between the two marks they can be taken on cockle/fish baits when the factory is dumping. If the factory isn't working though they don't hang around and soon move off, probably to the beach where we get them on the bread.

I don't know the marks you are trying but are the fish you see actually feeding, or just transient fish?

They certainly give you something to think about :huh:

Stuart. :)

Cheers for that Stuart.

Ive tried baiting with bread crumb on one of the swimms (River Hamble)but because I can only get there at the weekend cant get the bait out consistently. However did get one take but didnt set the hook. My other areas Ive tried are by weed thats covered on the high. They just cruise the surface around the weed (Keyhaven Marshes) tried bread and maggots there but no luck. They have no probs with the yak. They swim around it which makes it even more frustrating. I normally drop anchor 30m up tide and just pay out anchor line untill Ive silently drifted into the swim. Like you say IM dealing with fish in areas that arent normally baited so its a waiting game and just catching them on the feed and having the correct bait for the moment.

Despite all the frustrations Im loving it. It just means the rest of my fishing has sufferred so thats why Im taking a break from the Mullet for a couple of weekends.

I don't know the area but have read about it I think and if I remember, the fish were thin lips mostly and were taken on rag baited spoons.

The place where me and Phooey tried the other week near Tywyn is an estuary type location where according to the locals, bread is a non starter but harbour rag will take the odd fish on a leger rig.

It may be worth trying.

Stuart :)

Thats definately worth a go. The No1 bait for the Solent area is rag so will give that a go next time out. Thanks Stuart. Trouble is will probably lose most of it to schoolies. NOrmally would be happy for that, never thought I would be putting Bass in the same pest category as Pout. :D