Kn*bheads

Brian Carragher

Had a session on my local river on Friday and it happened again.

You get set up with your piking gear, set up your float paternoster gear, plumb the depth and find the ledge and drop offs and then fish your baits accordingly.

What is it then that draws like a magnet all the thick lure anglers in other swims to cast downriver as far as they can and use my float as a marker to aim at. Can they not work out the drop offs for themselves or do they take the easy way out and use my float as a marker to make things easy for them. It would'nt be so bad but my floats are only 12ft to the side of my rods and to reach them the mad lure anglers have to give it big licks to reach me

Needless to say a few words of ancient Anglo saxon were exchanged and the guy still could'nt see how he was doing anything wrong the excuse being he was on the river first and that gave him the right to fish lures where ever he liked, result, more ancient Anglo Saxon

Even when he walked past and I pointed out my gear to him he still could'nt see the problem which is a bit strange considering how many paces it took him to reach me. I guess that by this point his understanding of old language was fairly good as he went off in a huff but the point is on the last two trips my float paternoster gear has been used as someone elses marker float and it's always newcomers to the pike fishing scene that don't seem to appreciate how float paternoster gear works, ie fished overdepth and at an angle through the water from bottom to top and how easy it is to snag someone elses gear when flinging big lures

Given the standard of some of the anglers and angling prowess on display on my local river I feel that the only losers in all of this will be the fish themselves

Well i have no issue with what you have said apart from the end being that the only losers are the fish themselves?? Lets be honest... any fish that doesn't get hooked is gonna be pretty well off. If it gets hooked by your paternoster or the other blokes lure (which in this weather is probably better) its still got some metal through its lip which in the fishes eyes isn't so beneficial.

how easy it is to snag someone elses gear when flinging big lures

Hmmm. Maybe fish dummy rigs (weight but no hook) to either side of your real one and spool with 85lb powerpro on the 3.5 T/C dummies.

Any lure angler who snags one of your dummies will be in for a big surprise, you will have some fun playing the other angler, and in the likely event you land his rod & reel, you can decide if you want to return it or not.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

What a lovely stretch of river! Ignorant fishermen winding you up then you with your foul mouthed tirades.

Do let us all know where it is so we can avoid it :)

I would'nt mind a pint of whatever it is you drink as it's obviously strong stuff, strong enough to effect your reasoning, the only one mentioning foul mouthed tirades is yourself. Not looking in the mirror when posting are you?

Guest Brumagem Phil
I would'nt mind a pint of whatever it is you drink as it's obviously strong stuff, strong enough to effect your reasoning, the only one mentioning foul mouthed tirades is yourself. Not looking in the mirror when posting are you?

Needless to say a few words of ancient Anglo saxon were exchanged and the guy still could'nt see how he was doing anything wrong the excuse being he was on the river first and that gave him the right to fish lures where ever he liked, result, more ancient Anglo Saxon.

Perhpas I misunderstood this sentence? LOL!

I'm a lure angler and have to say I always give the guys fishing baits a wide berth, mainly because they like to think that it's ok to fish 3 or 4 swims down with a deadbait suspended below a drifter!

Seems a lot of guys here in Somerset like to fish the roving style without actually getting off their arse!! ;)

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Well i have no issue with what you have said apart from the end being that the only losers are the fish themselves?? Lets be honest... any fish that doesn't get hooked is gonna be pretty well off. If it gets hooked by your paternoster or the other blokes lure (which in this weather is probably better) its still got some metal through its lip which in the fishes eyes isn't so beneficial.

The summer bait fishing argument you're alluding to gets less relevant the further North you go. The majority of Northern waters are quite different to the shallow drains, broads and slow moving muddy rivers that you get in the south and the weather is generally less hot for prolonged periods, so water temps are cooler and therefore better oxygenated.

During the winter some of the northern waters are very unproductive places, so a lot of (respected) pike anglers target them during summer months.

I mostly lure fish, but I have to say that casting lures any where near someone elses bait is inconsiderate and ignorant and the guy deserved all the abuse he got.

i would get sneaky,sunken paternoster rigs,

hes obviously a knob,thats pretty much all theere is too it.

i would have picked up my lure rod selected a nice big jerkbait and slung it straight at him! (joking)

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Guest Ferret1959
i would get sneaky,sunken paternoster rigs,

hes obviously a knob,thats pretty much all theere is too it.

i would have picked up my lure rod selected a nice big jerkbait and slung it straight at him! (joking)

Is a big jerk bait used for catching errrrrr big jerks?????????;):D