Making Pole Rigs

Elton

Some sensible advice there guys.

Basically, a straight through rig would be used where you expect to be bagging.

Carp in the summer, roach up-in-the-water, both of those situations will see me using straight through rigs.

The carp rig would be 0.16 minimum line, probably 0.18. For roach, I'll use 0.12 straight through. Basically looking for a rig that will stand up to the strain of catching a lot of fish.

I carry a hookbox made from a wooden float box with two opposing rows of panel pins to hold the traces fully extended. For most pole fishing I use 6" hooklengths, but also carry 12" hooklengths though these are usually used on clear rivers and may well be fluorocarbon.

Hooklengths will be used on winter carp rigs, all silver fish bottom rigs.

As for actually putting a rig together:

I shot the floats in a cut off 2 litre drinks bottle

The shot is attached to the line with a pair of tweezers, next to a knot, you can hold the knot while you slide the shot up the line, and then cut the bottom 6" off so there is no damage.

After squeezing the shot onto the line, give them a gentle squeeze across the top of the split, this will make it easier to move (crossbiting)

Make your rigs up to match the top four of your pole and shorten them on the bank when needed. Find out how many turns of line are needed around your winder to match that length and you can simply count the turns onto the winder next time, without having to measure against your top kit.

Always use the same size of winder to make life easier.

If you find an item of tackle that works really well, buy plenty of them and ignore everything else, you will fish more efficiently.

I was working with Will Raison last week, he made up a rig on 0.18 line and tied on the hook without any shot. He then bit the shot onto the line and proceeded to catch 200lbs of carp shallow!

Good luck

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

Have to agree with 'coarsefish-torbay' but another little hint that has nowt to do with hooklengths is winder colour, instead of faffing around with a marker pen or stickers on em i use the same colour for different diameter lines ie red for 0.16 and white for 0.14 etc etc (but i store my hooklength less)

For you guys that make up your own pole rigs, how do you get the micro shot on, I have hands the size of hams and I just can't handle the stuff onto the line

Have you had a look atbthe new dispensers from Dinsmore?? Only in 8 and 10's at present I believe. But as to 'owt any smaller have to agree!! Bloody hopeless!! Must be honest I try to use Styls myself!! A BIT easier!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))