Macky bashing at Whitby west pier

glennk

Christened my new shakespeare power play spinning rod last night. I was most impressed with this rod and it casts a dream. There wasnt many Macky catching, apparently I should have been there the night beofre as my eldest lad says he got a dozen, but I did manage 2 and it was well worth the effort of going just to see the fantastic sunset. There were also lots of small billets getting caught and the occasional undersize codling. It was good to see all the teenagers enjoying their fishing , and after recent reports from south gare it was also good to see the local kids know how to behave too.

Whitby is 1 of only 2 places in the country where the sun rises and sets in the sea through the summer months, however in a few weeks time as daylight hours start to receed the sun will be setting over the cliffs again and the old beachcaster will come back out of the loft. Roll on winter.

sunsetwhitby.jpg

westpierdusk.jpg

westpier6.jpg

Edited by glennk

"...after recent reports from the south gare..."

Any chance you could enlighten us mate? I'm based in Norfolk but originally from Teesside and am home for a few days next week. I was going to bring some spinning kit up just to pass an hour but I wont bother if its going to be a hassle.

Last time I fished there, probably 15 years ago, it was getting a bit iffy leaving your car on a winters night, but I thought it'd be ok for an hour at dawn....

It was a report on wsf forums. Guy got a lot of hassel from the teenagers. There was also talk of drug taking etc. GUy said only time worth fishing is early mornings.

Thanks. I was going early morning anyway.

I reckon I could handle the hassle, but I dont want to leave my car and come back to find it wrecked!

Theres plenty of mackeral on the south Gare with some anglers taking over 200 fish a piece.

Early morning high tides are best but when they're shoaling up the sprats then anytime is bonanza time.

Your car is safe during the morning tides and its also safe during the evening tides as its still light at 11 pm at the moment but winter time is a different proposition, too many twockers on the lookout in winter to pinch a motor so park your car opposite the pilot house where its well lit up and walk to the gare, car parking here is safe enough for the pilot and crew of the cutter so its good enough for me

What happens at this time of year with the high temperatures and nice evenings is that a few underage drinkers gather there for a " cider fest" as they are usually left alone to their own devices, they do no harm but can get a bit boistrous and noisy but harmless enough.

Don't think I've ever seen any drug taking or heard reports of drug activity there and to be frank if anyone was on drugs the gare would be the last place they'd go to buy or shoot up, why go there when you can buy it cheap enough in the town and inject in "comfort" in their own home rather than on some exposed concrete breakwater

• 2 weeks later...

After the helpful replies given freely, I thought I'd report back.

I got up at 4 on saturday and made it down to the Gare at about half past. There must have been 20+ people fishing the redcar corner when I got there. Judging from the language and behaviour, it must've been an away day from Durham prison, but they were getting a few when the seals weren't nicking 'em! Anyway there was no-one fishing the end so i dropped in there. Two cast and two lost spinners saw me move round to the river side, just off the corner. First chuck, I had one. Same again second chuck.

"Any good mate"? said a gimp from the redcar corner crew. I told him I'd had a couple.

Then it started. A bloke came and fished 6ft to my right. Sort of acceptable. One to my left. Fair enough?

Gimp comes back, beachcaster and feathers in hand and fishes BEHIND ME on my left shoulder! His retarded mate comes and fishes BEHIND ME on my right shoulder. The gimp and the retard procede to try and empty the north sea of mackeral 4-5 at a time. What fun that must have been for them. God knows what use anyone could have for so many mackys.

For my part, I had 8 in 9 casts and left for home. All 8 were eaten the same day at a family get together. I would have fished for longer and returned what I'd caught, but I couldn't face it.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but what happened to etiquette in fishing?

Nice report m8. Did make me laugh a little - Im sorry. I think you have had a decent experience at least they never took your wallet and twoc ' ed your car.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32436

LOL.

When i was a kid 20 years ago (I'm 37) I used to fish the Gare quite a bit. Once I learned to drive the visits became fewer and were mainly confined to spinning for mackeral. You sort of accepted there'd be a bit of shoulder to shoulder, but people had a bit of respect for your space if you know what I mean.

We enjoyed our fresh fish, and if I gave you a chuckle, at least you got some return for the time you spent replying to my question :) . I always try and make my reports entertaining. See the leader-lines web site which is East Anglia orientated for more of my ramblings.

Cheers Glenn.