feathering from the shore?

Island 991

Is this possible/viable for mackerel? ive feathered from a boat plenty, but unsure what kinda rig would work from the shore?? feathers under a float??

any advise would help!

Yes ....... use a feathers rig with a weight, cast out .. then use a sink and draw technique...

More sporting and lots of fun is to scale down from the beachcaster set-up and go for a spinning / bass rod and use a single lure ... you could even go down and try with a fly rod ......!!!!!

What you really need to do is some homework on your local venues to see if they are known for mackerel and the normal sort of distance they come in to the shore (and thus what sort of tactics are needed) ... some venues they can some so close as to be almost jumping out onto the beach ... tends to be on steep shingle beaches I've witnessed this the most .....

Any time of day (around high water normally) ... but if it was me, I'd probably focus on the evenings...

Phil

Edited by Phil the Fish

Is this possible/viable for mackerel? ive feathered from a boat plenty, but unsure what kinda rig would work from the shore?? feathers under a float??

any advise would help!

:sun: much more fun on a spinning rod with a dexter 28gm wedge some times there 2 far out but you got to sit & wait watch the water some times there 10 feet away ,,,,rich :sun:

Ime off to yak skoool,,,,,,no more overruns to get out there,,,,

thanks for that. can you sink and draw when you have to cast out a few meters? wont it just pull back and forth ?

.... sorry .... sink and draw for casts of any distance / depth.... if they are right under your feet then short gigs or just a straight retrieve will do .... judgement call on the day!!!! :-)

I should have said that float tackle for garfish will pickup mackerel as well .. or is it the other way around :-)

Phil