Best bait to use for smaller fish, 5lb and under

Rog1990

I am new to fishing, this is my second season but didn't really take it up last. I would appreciate some tips on bait to use and rough depths to set up for this time of year. My preffered place to fish is the gravel pits at attenborough but I have never caught anything that big, went a week ago and barely caught a thing! fishing on maggots and size 16's at a depth of roughly 1-2 feet as the pond is rather shallow where i fish, I only caught small fish though and not many of them. They were all roach to my dissapointment. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

oohh a local (well i think so,carn't tell from your profile) where you at the village end or near the visitor centre.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

oohh a local (well i think so,carn't tell from your profile) where you at the village end or near the visitor centre.

I was at the visitor centre end and don't know the village ned waters, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was at the visitor centre end and don't know the village ned waters, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The visitor centre end, I have noidea where to fish at the village end, any advice would be greatlt appreciated, depths, bait and where to fish are my main problems at the moment as a friend taught me how to fish but has now given up,leaving me on my own.

i always take worms out with me.

i find an inch piece of chopped worm can vary my catches.

one might bring in a perch of a few ounces

the next might be a carp of 5-6 lb's.

always a suprise for me finding what's on the hook with worm.

:)

IPB Image

ok,when you go down the lane (barton line i think ?) at the chilwell retail park and just after the rail crossing is a carpark on the right which has a road that leads to the sailing club its quite good along there fishing at 13m+ or with a waggler or better still a groundbait feeder and either a red worm or maggots as hookbait,maybe even soft hooker pellet as the hookbait or banded pellet/hair rigged,i carn't remember of hand the depths along the roadside but your best to plumb up because of water levels vary,my faviote spot down there was on the arm that jutted out into the lake but some idiot went and built a visitor centre on it :headhurt: ,i hav'nt fished it in quite a few years now used to get some big tench & bream from there,on classic feeder methods,but these days i'd add lots of small (3-8mm) to the groundbait,theres many veriations on what groundbait to use,but a general lake+brasim+groung pellet should do fished in a cage or g/b feeder (open ended)

normal_feeders.jpg

common feeder rigs:

normal_MyPicture2.jpg

or a small method feeder packed with g/b & pellets with either dead red maggots or pellet as hookbait

fox.jpg

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks a lot, I have never fished that part of the site. I will give it a go. I am used to trying my luck with church pond and a small part of the main lake but those damn swans are now always there, oh well, it is there home and not mine. Thanks

I know that the white shell fish ringers boilies had been working quite well as a hookbait down there, Had a walk around the lagoon on saturday but no 1 was fishing i wonder why lol :P

I know that the white shell fish ringers boilies had been working quite well as a hookbait down there, Had a walk around the lagoon on saturday but no 1 was fishing i wonder why lol :P

Yeah lol. I am considering all options as I want to vary my cathes. I aint moanin at catchin butall I get is very small roach and nothing else. Last season I got a variation of some breem, perch, and a pike, now I haven't caught anything like that. Thanks markp.