Experienced Fly fisher novice sea fisher but interested in a fishing YAK

sandgrownen

Hi

I have read through a lot of the threads for yak fishing in the last few days trying to get a feel for the subject & some things have occurred to me.

These kayaks are injection molded polyurethane the same as kiddies garden play houses? The kids houses have far more castings in their make up and retail around £150 plus.

How can they justify £350 upwards for these kayaks? Also all manufacturers seem to come out conveniently at the same prices, or am I being cynical?

I had an idea for the scupper hole problem. Has anyone tried to create some sort of internal flap operated none return valve that would shut against a rebate when the water pushed up the scupper hole and would open when the water flowed out of the deck.

Has any one ever tried fishing off the fylde coast near Blackpool in one of these craft?

I would have the dedicated single fishing, girlfriend twin day out decision to make when buying a YAK. Has anyone really conquered that one yet?

Loads more questions and ideas but this will do to start.

Cheers

Sandgrownen

Hi sandgrownen

My guess about the price of the yaks goes into the research and development of a poly yak that is efficient in the water, safe, design specific and able to cope with the stresses associated with the use of medium water condition watercraft. Not just the criteria of "will a 5 year old fit through this hole"!

Just a guess :lol:

Look at some of the pics and the faces of the yak sportsmen and women! I think they are worth every penny :)

Or you could buy a redwood log and get carving!! ha ha!

Good look

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

I've always thought our plastic yaks are overpriced for what they are. When spending hundreds of pounds on moulded plastic you'd expect the kayak to have the fittings fit correctly, alignment between the upper and lower halves spot on and no holes in the kayak. Sometimes this isn't the case.

I will be buying another kayak soon for the Mrs - I'm hoping the process will be as simple as placing the order, receiving it within a reasonable time period and being out on the water with her before the summers out.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Sandgrownan,

there is always a composite fishing kayak - faster, lighter and capable of taking anything you throw at her......seek and ye shall find.

Specimen - the new version Dorado is up and running, complete with full gunwales and self draining (non return valve) footwells....which colour would you like! LOL (Orange and white like mine is standard!)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Specimen - the new version Dorado is up and running, complete with full gunwales and self draining (non return valve) footwells....which colour would you like! LOL (Orange and white like mine is standard!)

No no you can't wave that juicy carrot in front of me now! We've just sold Donnas Caper this evening and are looking for another Scupper Pro. It would be a hard sell convincing her we need to up the budget and buy a Dorado for me to paddle whilst she takes the Scupper out :D

Good to hear about the self draining footwells.. that was the only issue I had with it.. maybe next year just bought a motorcycle. :yeah:

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi

I have read through a lot of the threads for yak fishing in the last few days trying to get a feel for the subject & some things have occurred to me.

These kayaks are injection molded polyurethane the same as kiddies garden play houses? The kids houses have far more castings in their make up and retail around £150 plus.

How can they justify £350 upwards for these kayaks? Also all manufacturers seem to come out conveniently at the same prices, or am I being cynical?

I had an idea for the scupper hole problem. Has anyone tried to create some sort of internal flap operated none return valve that would shut against a rebate when the water pushed up the scupper hole and would open when the water flowed out of the deck.

Has any one ever tried fishing off the fylde coast near Blackpool in one of these craft?

I would have the dedicated single fishing, girlfriend twin day out decision to make when buying a YAK. Has anyone really conquered that one yet?

Cheers

Sandgrownen

Hi

Cheers

Sandgrownen

I'll try & answer the bits I know about!

No - these boats are rotomoulded, not blow moulded.

As SDD correctly said a whole lot of cash goes in to R&D & prototyping plus the capital cost of a mould tool is many tens of thousands of dollars & lasts varyingly between 10 & 40000 boats dependent on complexity..they are regularly refurbished during this time.

The ovens are generally gas run..check out a recent bill? They also cost a tad more than the average microwave.

Would that we could sell the numbers that kiddy playhouses sell in...It's a great sport but the percentage of kayaks sold as compared with play houses is diminutive. Our cheapest model is £249 BTW.

You're right to be cynical but the other reason that a lot of boats are similar prices (although do check this a little more carefully) could be that they use similar quantities of the same material bought from the same suppliers & are made in the same style of ovens operated by the same number of people...the savings are in the quantities produced..hence check prices carefully!

I've never fished from a play house but it might be good value?

Hoping there is some valid information amongst the tongue in cheek reply.

Regards

Andrew

(Johnson Outdoors)

What bike Specimen? You really are getting into this alternative lifestyle thing aren't you! Job to get the kayakon the bike though - I have tried!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Project Playhouse.... hmmm got a certain ring to it :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com