12lb class outfit

Guest muttley

I got an older style suveran 10-20 and this really is a fun rod! Super light, much more so than the newer 12-20 ones, and I can see my tld5 getting strapped to it.

I would probably want a lever drag on this type of fishing outfit... look at an abu 6000 lever drag or a small avet one.

D

It's each to his own I guess.

Have been using a North Western 12lb and 20lb for 80% of my fishing for the last four years. In that time, I haven't seen or tried a rod I would switch to instead.

:clap2: I've got a 25 year old Conoflex 20lb in blue which is a bit soft for a 20lb rod but it's a great 12lb rod, I've caught loads of fish on it, from Dorado and wahoo to sting rays, never failed me yet. :clap2:

i think i said this before on a tackle question. don't ask as you will be more confused than you were before. everyone has their fav outfit and we all differ in ability and experience.

work out a budget.

go to the shops and get the feel of what you like.

then ask for pitfalls with that make.

or

ask your mates fishing in similar area for a shot of what they use.

confused? you will be

I have been using Suverans for 4/5 years. They are very fine in the tip, however one could not described it as soft, "fine and steely, perhaps" I have landed hounds to 17lbs on the 12 pounder and tope to over 30lbs on the 20 pounder, and they would have done much better. Once the middle and lower part of the blank take over there is power to spare. For trolling and heavy lead pirking, no, not the tool. For fishing with finesse, drifting and requiring total control, they are the dogs swingers!!! :lol:

Replacement rings? not sure about that, however, the Suveran blank is so good, if I had a problem with rings I would re ring it with conventional light Fuji's. I am almost joined at the hip to my '3' Suverans. One day I will have them rebuilt discarding the old fashioned, naff, split butt/reel seat. Put a new butt/reel seat in place of the bottom section, this will make them an inch or two over 8ft, perfect all-round rod with an action to die for :yeah:

The, Greys 15lb 'Longboat', is the business as an uptide/casting/boat rod, not quite so delicate on the drift for bass in the river, but as an all round, uptide casting, downtide, winter/spring rod, (cod, roka etc.,) it takes some beating. In fact, on a personally base, the above will be my fishing tools for the foreseeable future, I have a very long future?? all equiped with Abu 7000 or 6500 Rocket, you can keep your leaver drags. I have had one Abu 6600, a Shimano Charter Special, and had some experience of other peoples purchases, not impressed, the 6600 is at the bottom of the river Orwell! :yucky::lol::lol:

Cliff, :ph34r:

Guest muttley

Could not resist the Suveran/calcutta combination. bought it today....not cheap but feels bloomin' luvverly...roll on saturday...feathers out, mackerel in,mackerel back out,large bass in!!!!!....now i'm just dreamin'. Thanks for your feedback chaps...most interesting.

Muttley :lol:

Could not resist the Suveran/calcutta combination. bought it today....not cheap but feels bloomin' luvverly...roll on saturday...feathers out, mackerel in,mackerel back out,large bass in!!!!!....now i'm just dreamin'. Thanks for your feedback chaps...most interesting.

Muttley :lol:

Hay, Muttly, I agree with 50% of your purchase, lol. What do you think of the split butt/real seat arrangement on such a superb blank. Am I being finicky, or does it real let the side down, such thoroughbred, with a real manky lump as a saddle?? :huh: A great rod never the less. :yeah::thumbs:

Guest muttley

Hi Cliff....I'm not too worried about it if i'm honest, it only takes a jiffy to put together then bobs your uncle......your fishing. By the way do you think that the abu multipliers are better than the calcutta? Because i have 4 7000 size (2 7000 BG & 2 7000 C4 lever drags) and I have had little niggles with both from the off, like: level winds not working due to worn out pinions, line alarm clicker breaking ( I love that sound when tope run off ) , running 'lumpy' if you know what I mean, over runs (only on the C4) and so on. I have yet to see if the calcutta stands up to the punishment i dish out to my tackle (lots), but time will tell :sun:

Hi Cliff....I'm not too worried about it if i'm honest, it only takes a jiffy to put together then bobs your uncle......your fishing. By the way do you think that the abu multipliers are better than the calcutta? Because i have 4 7000 size (2 7000 BG & 2 7000 C4 lever drags) and I have had little niggles with both from the off, like: level winds not working due to worn out pinions, line alarm clicker breaking ( I love that sound when tope run off ) , running 'lumpy' if you know what I mean, over runs (only on the C4) and so on. I have yet to see if the calcutta stands up to the punishment i dish out to my tackle (lots), but time will tell :sun:

Hi 'Muttley', Yes I understand about the butt, its simple and effective, but on a rod like that I just feel it merits a better arrangement, I suspect ABU don't realise just how good the blank is???? lol Bit like buying a Jaguar without leather or wood trim? It works but . . .

ABU 7000's? I have 6, dating from circa 1980 to 2000'ish, bought a pair of 7500, these were the only ones I purchased new, tight wad that I am, :lol: I speak as I find, all have served me well, never had the problems anglers have related to me as failures in the build quality. I found the lever drag on a 6600 I purchased new was not smooth, had the same problem on a friends 7500L and every 7500L I have seen shows signs of W&T very soon into its life. Over runs, only when I have finger trouble, I always use 4 BBs, not into horizon punching or birds nests, no need thats why I'm in a boat, lol. I have done a field test, my average, feet planted, 5oz lead, overhead lob goes about 30/35 yds with bait, thats adequate.

I am a fussy bugger, every trip the rods and reels get washed and a spray of WD40, even before the boat. Never had a level wind failure, or line alarm clicker break. I suppose the law of averages says, with 6, its going to happen but when? They run sweet enough, even the old 1980 one is still in use. I doubt I give mine the use you do, but they still get a fair hammering. One other thing I am careful about is to pump the rod, and not use the reel as a dead weight winch?

But then mate, I'm still using rods that are 20 years old, and have been re rung only once? As I say, I am fussy, seen how normal people use their gear, seen how some philistines treat tackle as well. Its a wonder they land any sort of fish at all!

I treat anything that cost me hundreds of pounds with reverence, on the basis I dont want to be shelling out again in a hurry, lol Its true to say, if the angling shops relied on me for their profit, they would not be doing so well! My latest 'new' reel acquisition, a 6500 Rocket (Chrome) is the bees knees, smooth, easy cast, great drag, the perfect size match to the Suveran 12lb and at £70'ish a bargain?

No experience of the Calcutta, dont even know anyone who owns one?

Sorry about the epistle, but you did ask, :lol:

Edited by CJS2