12lb class outfit

Guest muttley

Guest muttley

was thinking of buying a 12lb class out fit . Maybe an abu suveran with a shimano calcutta. Any feedback from you all on any similar tackle you have experience of would be appreciated. Especially if it was bad tackle as i'll keep well clear. Will be using it for drifting with live mackerel and slow trolling with rapalas.

was thinking of buying a 12lb class out fit . Maybe an abu suveran with a shimano calcutta. Any feedback from you all on any similar tackle you have experience of would be appreciated. Especially if it was bad tackle as i'll keep well clear. Will be using it for drifting with live mackerel and slow trolling with rapalas.

Muttley, There is nothing better than a 12-20 Suveran, er, perhaps 2 x 12-20 Severans, lol Matched with a 6500 ABU Rocket or a 7000? no it does not look to big! I have a pair of the 12's. Also have a 20-30, great allround boat rods. I use all my Suverans for casting, drifting and down tiding. Old fashioned grip/winch fitting is a pain, but I have got used to it, the action is superb.

Alternative, Greys 8ft 6in, 15-20 'Longboat' another great all rounder, excellent tip, long butt, good medium action with real power in the bottom half. Adjustable reel seat position, simple but effective, worth the effort to search out for a look, I have a pair!! Seen them discounted to £90'ish. Lifetime Guarantee as well.

Cliff, :ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

I purchased a "no name" cheapo Korean, 10-12lb outfit, 5 years ago and match it with an Abu 6300 C3 multiplier with braid.

It has been used regularly gilling for pollack, bass, etc from the boat.

When drifting the reefs off Clew Bay in Ireland, it has also dealt with some large ling, cod, pollack, coalfish and other denizens of the deep.

I tend to buy "named" rods, or have them made from "named" blanks, but this rod has really made me wonder if I have been wasting serious money for quite a few years.

In my humble opinion, the 12-20lb Suveran rods are too close to 20, than 12.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Hiya, Till recently, I had a Shakespeare 12lb boat rod, matched with a Shimano Speedmaster, a great wee combo, that took everything in its stride..had some great fun with it.....Till my mate "Lost" it out the back of the boat. :angry: The rod cost £25, the reel was £40 off Ebay !!!!! :D

I cant remember the exact model of rod tho....it was blue in colour tho'.... :blink:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

In my humble opinion, the 12-20lb Suveran rods are too close to 20, than 12.

Sorry Cranfield, I would disagree with that statement. However, the power in the bottom half of the blank may lead you to that conclusion? The super sensative tip and forgiving upper section is definatly in the 12lb class. :mellow::unsure:;) Even a schoolie bass can put a real bend in :thumbs:

If its a boat rod your after Matt, you can check out my new Daiwa Kenzaki when we next meet. Superb.

If your after a little more length (cue innuendo post) check out some of the pike lure rods available. I use Free Spirit 'Pike Tamers' 8'6 1-3oz for 90% of all my boat fishing and it comes very highly recommended. :)

Im currently using a 12lb Abu Viper, and have a matching 20/30lb. There quite a middle of the road rod, not expensive but perform well, i've got a 7000BG lever drag on my 12lb rod and a TLD20 on the other.

One thing I have heard about the Sauvarens is that you can't get replacment eyes for them anymore, not sure if thats true mind.

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Sorry Cranfield, I would disagree with that statement. However, the power in the bottom half of the blank may lead you to that conclusion? The super sensative tip and forgiving upper section is definatly in the 12lb class. :mellow::unsure:;) Even a schoolie bass can put a real bend in :thumbs:

Absolutly agree, I bought one for light wrecking and found that it was too tippy for this work when the tide is running and anything over 8oz of lead is needed. Superb for trotting down the tide with light gear on as long as you have a strong disposition as it sure looks like its going to break as the tip bends so much.

If you want to troll rapalas you'll find that a 12lb class blank is too light and really keels over under the resistance the plug puts up. Fine if you're using outriggers, but not for trolling directly off the rod.

The Kenzaki looks nice in the shop, very through action.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com