Silly Prices

BobH

As someone who likes using Old fishing tackle, the cult of Traditional Fishing has driven up the prices of lot's of old fishing tackle, which I will not buy into.

So a couple of years ago, when I could see the prices going through the roof for older centrepins, I decided to start collecting older Fixed spool reels, reels I had used through the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80tys.

And if you look around you can still get some brilliant bargains, I purchased a mint boxed Mitchell 314 for £10.00, a never used Intrepid Supreme boxed for £14.00, lots of Ambidex and Mitchell reels at silly money- these will become the next collectables.

I have to say, I use my reels, they don't sit in a display cabinet and I get pleasure out of them.

Bob

As someone who likes using Old fishing tackle, the cult of Traditional Fishing has driven up the prices of lot's of old fishing tackle, which I will not buy into.

So a couple of years ago, when I could see the prices going through the roof for older centrepins, I decided to start collecting older Fixed spool reels, reels I had used through the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80tys.

And if you look around you can still get some brilliant bargains, I purchased a mint boxed Mitchell 314 for £10.00, a never used Intrepid Supreme boxed for £14.00, lots of Ambidex and Mitchell reels at silly money- these will become the next collectables.

I have to say, I use my reels, they don't sit in a display cabinet and I get pleasure out of them.

Bob

Like you Bob, i'm another who likes some of the older tackle. I can't think of any rods I like from before the mid 80's though, but I do like a few reels dating back further than that. I had a black prince and some very primative reels before I reached secondry school but as a teenager I had the mitchell match, 300 and 410 but if i'm honest I never liked them as the line was forever going behind the spool and was always crinckly and nacked after that. I preferd the abu's and the old 501 closed faced reel was my favourite :).

I do like some of the older centrepins, the allcocks match aerial being one of my favourites. I have one really old centrepin made in 1915 era and even today it's so free running it beggers belief ! My only reel gripe with the reel is that my hands get black whenever I use it, maybe it's something seeping out of the metal I really don't know. Also it has quite a large foot and is more suited to sliding reel seats than todays small sized screw down seats and it won't fit on some of the modern reel seats. Obviously it was designed to fit on the sliding reel bands of cane rods and I think it would look great on a cane rod.

Tigger

The ABU 55s were a brilliant reel, I had a pair and hope to replace them some time, but they are still sought after and command quite a lot of money.

I have a couple of ABU Saveran reels which are fantastic and the best fixed spool I have ever used, they take a bit of getting use to, with the centre drag, but once mastered they are a pleasure to play fish on !!

One of the joys of using old fixed spools is the fact that they are rubbish compared to modern fixed spool and demand a modicum of competence to use, it adds a bit to the fishing if you catch on such tackle.

As for older split cane rods, I complete agree, although I have a soft spot for the Chapman 500 carp rods which over the year I have landed some really nice fish on :hypocrite:

But the weight of those old cane and Spanish reed match/trotting rods, leaves me cold, you would have to into serious training to hold one of those for a few hours ?

Bob

Tigger

The ABU 55s were a brilliant reel, I had a pair and hope to replace them some time, but they are still sought after and command quite a lot of money.

I have a couple of ABU Saveran reels which are fantastic and the best fixed spool I have ever used, they take a bit of getting use to, with the centre drag, but once mastered they are a pleasure to play fish on !!

One of the joys of using old fixed spools is the fact that they are rubbish compared to modern fixed spool and demand a modicum of competence to use, it adds a bit to the fishing if you catch on such tackle.

As for older split cane rods, I complete agree, although I have a soft spot for the Chapman 500 carp rods which over the year I have landed some really nice fish on :hypocrite:

But the weight of those old cane and Spanish reed match/trotting rods, leaves me cold, you would have to into serious training to hold one of those for a few hours ?

Bob

I used to like the old C4's and C5's, I think Bob James used some in one of the PFA programmes whilst targetting carp.

I had a couple of the abu suverans (bought new from overseas 9yrs ago) in the small 1000 size. I sold one and kept hold of one....I could kick myself up the jacksy for letting one go ! As you say they are a superb reel and imo in a league above any others i've ever used... no doubt you've seen this article about them....

http://www.realsreels.com/reviews/suveran.htm

I bought my Speedia pin just before prices went silly about ten years ago for, if I remember rightly £25. Same reel in that condition now nearer £70.

Its not the anglers that buy and use them that drive the prices up but the glass cabinet collectors.