Dorado versus sit on tops

bilkofish

I'm new to these pages and I'm going to buy a yak but am having trouble arranging test drives of the models I fancy (ain't that just life!). The Dorado looks good, I like the deeper sitting position which suggests greater stability than Prowlers and Tarpons which are the other 2 models that interest me. As a keen cyclist, the Hobie Mirage Drive looks the nuts but is well expensive.

Any advice on where I could test a Dorado or the other models (I live in Bath but I travel often to Plymouth and Cornwall on business) would be very gratefully received.

I love fishing for coarse fish on the fly (pike, perch, chub and barbel) 3 of which I catch regularly and also like lure fishing. The yak would be for sea use; although I haven't done much sea fishing, i really am fired up by the whole yak fishing idea.

PS Who lives in Porthleven and has the van with the Prowler 13 on top?

Welcome Bilkofish

If the Hobie Mirage Drive is too expensive then I suspect the Dorado will be too. Hopefully Simon Everett, the UK agent for Kaskazi Kayaks will check back in soon and give you some pricing info. If I had the cash I'd have one :)

The closest plastic alternative to the Dorado is the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro which at £399 is much cheaper and also has the deeper sitting position. All the kayaks are stable; however how the kayak performs in rougher conditions or how well it paddles over distance could be important to you and this is where differences may show between models. My Scupper Pro paddles well in swells and without a rudder I normally don't have to make many corrective strokes to keep her on course. After seeing Zzippys Prowler 15 in action it too paddles well in rough conditions and is just as fast but would benefit more from a rudder to keep her on course and not weathercock (point into the wind). The Prowler 15 is a better fishing platform than the Scupper Pro... choosing a kayak usually means a tradeoff with something.

Keep an eye out for reviews on the new Prowler Elite which looks like a refined Prowler 15 with a few new features.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Dorado trials are possible on a beach near you - and some paddling hints and tips given too.

The question of price is a funny thing - if you include the extras that the Dorado comes with - anchor hauls already fitted x3, the rudder as standard (and a proper rudder at that, where you can brace with both feet without moving the rudder), the huge dry storage hold between your legs and under the foredeck, the TWO bulkheads that makes the kayak 3 seperate compartments, not just one hoolow one, rod holders angled perfectly so they can be trolled without being in the paddle arc for any paddle stroke, including stern ruddering or stern sweeps. The fact that it is a hand built, advanced composite construction and paddles better than any other fishing kayak on the market - then the price is more than justified - add the extras to your alternative models and see how close the price then comes. But there is still a massive performance difference - ask those at the tope meet who couldn't get out of the river mouth when I could - and did, then paddled round the corner to where the others had launched - and paddled back again into the teeth of 35 knot south westerly. Unless you experience it, it is hard to put into words.

You are welcome to contact me - I shall be down in Plymouth before the end of the school hols hopefully.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Bilkofish - you asked about the Porthleven kayaker - that is Barramundi who runs uksaltwaterflies.com - he is a salty fly fisherman and does some bass guiding for catch and release only - and doesn't expect people he has taken out to then go and raid his marks and kill the bass he has shown them. Quite rightly too. Anyone who does that is no sportsman, and has no sense of decency either. To be fair, the type of chap he generally takes out realise that is his living and don't do the dirty on him, but it has happened.

If you are a fly fisherman then he is the man to see for your fly tying materials - or tied flies and any gear you might need.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Bilkofish - you asked about the Porthleven kayaker - that is Barramundi who runs uksaltwaterflies.com - he is a salty fly fisherman and does some bass guiding for catch and release only - and doesn't expect people he has taken out to then go and raid his marks and kill the bass he has shown them. Quite rightly too. Anyone who does that is no sportsman, and has no sense of decency either. To be fair, the type of chap he generally takes out realise that is his living and don't do the dirty on him, but it has happened.

If you are a fly fisherman then he is the man to see for your fly tying materials - or tied flies and any gear you might need.

Thanks Simon,

I'll try to look him up next time I'm staying down there, sounds like a man very much after my own heart with the fly fishing angle. I'd like to take you up on the offer of a Dorado trial around Plymouth or anywhere else in the south west some time. Don't seem to be able to use the PM facility so is there another way of getting in touch?

hi bilkofish

i have a hobbie and your more than welcome to try it

i am based oxford/ bucks but am dorset/devon regular

pm me for contact details

fat simon

Thanks, would like to take you up on your offer but I am not able to PM you - not sure why not. Any other way of contacting you?

Bilko, my details are available from BASS. Just ask someone you know who is a member! I am not so daft as to put it up here!

We are coming down to Plymouth for the Bank Holiday weekend (what a stupid idea - women, I ask you.) so the boys can go to Navy Days. I will bring the Dorado and the Duo (touring tandem) because Anna wants to go for a paddle and we might paddle round from Plymouth to Fowey if the weather is suitable. Otherwise just round to the Yealm.

Musket is hoping to go fishing while I am down too - so tag along and we'll get you in the hot seat.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I'm new to these pages and I'm going to buy a yak but am having trouble arranging test drives of the models I fancy (ain't that just life!). The Dorado looks good, I like the deeper sitting position which suggests greater stability than Prowlers and Tarpons which are the other 2 models that interest me. As a keen cyclist, the Hobie Mirage Drive looks the nuts but is well expensive.

Any advice on where I could test a Dorado or the other models (I live in Bath but I travel often to Plymouth and Cornwall on business) would be very gratefully received.

I love fishing for coarse fish on the fly (pike, perch, chub and barbel) 3 of which I catch regularly and also like lure fishing. The yak would be for sea use; although I haven't done much sea fishing, i really am fired up by the whole yak fishing idea.

PS Who lives in Porthleven and has the van with the Prowler 13 on top?

Hi Bilko,

Drop into exeter on your way down and go to the canoe centre on the exeter ship canal basin. they will let you trial some models but they dont always have everything in stock so it may be worth phoning first to see what they have.

ChrisW