New Tope and Rays By-Laws

Guest toplessfishing

As Leon Says check with your local SFC for minimum landing sizes for Thornbacks. Some like the Cumbria SFC have a higher MLS than the Defra recommendation

er Ian,

There is no DEFRA mls for rays :(

DEFRA apply the EU mls for most species, although they are about to step out of line with bass.

( Current EU mls are given at the end of this document: http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/sea/conserve/...umfishsizes.pdf )

The reason that the EU removed the size limits for rays is I beleive:

a ) There are a variety of species which mingle, and the appropriate mls for one isn't appropriate for another, but it's difficult to tell them apart which might cause fishermen to be unreasonably prosecuted.

b ) Mesh sizes to target a particlar mls for rays would be impractically large, leading to possible heavy discards.

But as you say, some SFCs do have local mls set by district byelaws

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest toplessfishing

Thank you gents.

Still a bit hard to grasp, so how big in lbs would a ray that is 40/45cm across the wings be?

Is it known how many times a said species of ray could of reproduced itself at that size?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Norm,

Who are the they you mention?

Are they the same they that hide dog **** in the snow?

Are they the same they that makes the really noisy splashes while your taking a **** at a quiet dinner party.?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!