Sport 1

Guest Jaybee

Guest Jaybee

It's difficult sometimes to post without appearing vain but as Elton will testify I havent a vain muscle in my body so posts are made genuinely as inspiration, help etc etc etc.

I hope they are viewed in that context.

I've decided not to enter the Sports competition having worked for many years as a freelance sports photographer.

That certainly doesnt mean I'd even do any good in the comp (there are far too many great photogrpahers on here to assume anything) but I dont feel comfortable entering a competition on a subject that I have so much experiance with.

I did think, though, that a couple of posts might help inspire you or help you "look" for the shot.

At the moment there may well be a country show or two going on around the country and show jumping is sure to be on the list of events.

Show jumping is an absolutely brilliant sport for photography. You dont have to have a long lens (it helps on occassion) as fences are right around the course and many are just feet from the showring fence.

All sports photography is about capturing the moment and show jumping is no different. A shot of th horse and rider going between one fence and the next isnt going to set the world on fire. All of the action revolves around the fence and particularily once the horses front legs have left the ground (or touched down on the other side)

Its around that few seconds that you should concentrate your efforts. It's over in a second or two BUT it isnt grease lightning, you do have time for 1, 2 or even 3 shots and focussing is straightforward .

Again, like all sport, there is that one single moment when everything stands still for a brief instant - with show jumping it is just as the horse reaches the peak of it's stretch as it leaves the ground to clear the fence - thats when you need to press that shutter button to catch "the moment".

If there isnt any show jumping near to you then a few almost directly equivalent sports (as far as photography go) are gymnastics, diving, dog agility.

Good luck in the comp.

The shots below are absolute minimum crop and taken a couple of weeks ago at Durham County Show.

sport1.jpg

sport2.jpg

sport3.jpg

sport4.jpg

sport5.jpg

sport6.jpg

i have developed a stutter!!!!!!!!! repeating my self..

i made a mess of previous post but it appears to have gone ..thank goodness.

amazing pictures...

just noticed though

ladies er!!!! bums seem to feature a lot. :headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

Edited by nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Guest Jaybee
i have developed a stutter!!!!!!!!! repeating my self..

Not from calling me names I hope :)

Oh by the way - all the above taken with the Fuji S3 and Nikon 300 F4

I also noticed a few nice bums :) and a couple on the horses too :)

Jaybee, don't you worry about anyone thinking you are vain, just keep the info coming please.

You mentioned in another post that you had writen a little book about "your footpath" please tell us more,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Your welcome to have a read of a pdf proof Den

http://northeastwildlife.co.uk/book.zip

I have just downloaded your book Jaybee, haven't read it yet, was too mesmerised by the pictures. It is awesome! Is it for Sale? All those creatures found in a 100 yard stretch of footpath!! (Sorry about thinking it was a 100 year history before).When we went to the National Park to get pics for the Wildlife comp we met a man who was photographing the tiniest orchards you have ever seen and he was giving us pointers etc. He was getting right down on the ground and practically touching them with his camera (which had a 12x zoom) and we were amazed at how beautiful they were when we thought we were walking past a bunch of weeds.

GREENHORN.jpg

And what an absolute bummer, I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it but our Annual Royal Adelaide Show begins on September 3rd, unbelievable. It has everything of course, Show Jumping, Motor Sports, Wood Chopping (which is the only reason we go to the Show, it's great to watch), can't think of anything else sports related atm. Must admit when I first looked at your photos my first thought was of the rather well positioned derrieres. Amazing Photos as usual.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Guest Jaybee

T - every single photo in the book is taken in that 100 yard stretch with the exception of the heron shot at the end - that was taken at a pond very close to the walk - text explains.

I have spent my fair share of hours lying on my ample belly in the grass :)

I think locally I got to be known as the man who lives in the grass.

It's an exercise I recomment every one tries (not lying in the grass - spending a lot of time in one small area) it really opens your eyes to what lives beneath your feet in a very small area.

Initially the book isnt for sale - it's being produced by Intro 2020 who import Tamron lenses into the UK but the Wildlife Trust are keen to produce the book if they can find a sponsor.

I make nothing out of either print run - I donated the book to the Wildlife Trust (and Intro 2020) in exchange for free copies (I couldnt afford the grand or so to have a handful printed)

Well thats extremely generous of you Jaybee but I hope that if they decide to have it published you will get your fair cut. You should have took out a loan, it's no doubt a worthy book and even though it is localised it should appeal to anyone. At the very least, if it is produced, you will get full credit for the work and may get other offers. Have you got any other projects in the works?

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!