clothing?

chaz62

Correct me if I'm wrong in assuming a wetsuit is normal for paddling, what Id like to know is which type do most of you wear? owing that most of your time is sitting and not standing on a board. I wouldn't want to get one with a zip in the wrong place (paddling comfort etc) zip across the shoulders? Also would it be better to get one a size too big if spending so much time on yer rear? cheers (more questions to follow)!!!

Hi Chaz

I think most of the regulars here who fish throughout the year opt for dry clothing rather a wetsuit. Nothing wrong with wearing a full wetsuit or a farmer john (wetsuit with the arms removed) particulary during the water warmer months. If you go the wetsuit route try and get one which is high stretch neoprene and buy one which fits. Perhaps someone here uses a wetsuit with a zip across the shoulders and gets on fine but I'd go for one with a zip down the back.

You can put a small inflatable cushion under your butt if you are unfortable or use a high back seat which comes with a butt pad - no need to go a size up on the suit.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Chaz

I mean dry wear as in dry suits, or dry cags and trousers. The surface water sports dry suits suitable for paddling are different to diving dry suits with their valves.

examples:

Dry Cags - towards bottom of page

Dry Trousers

Dry Suits

Dry wear like these rely on latex seals around the wrist, neck and sometimes the feet if socks (aka booties) aren't integrated into the feet area. Like tyres on a car, or cartridges on a printer, these seals are consumables and may need replacing at some point.

Another option is a semi dry suit which usually have neoprene seals instead of the latex ones around the neck area. For some these will feel more comfortable and whilst water will eventually get in you should have enough time to get back on the yak whilst staying dry - the same can be said about the dry cag/trouser combo - eventually the foldup seal between these garments will leak if you're swimming about in the water for an extended period but you should have enough time to get back on your yak whilst staying dry.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Chaz,

I have a kayakers 'Farmer John' wetsuit with reinforced knees (no zips) etc and this with kayaking shoes has been first choice kit for the last 3 months. However, I also have dry trousers, a semi-dry cag (neoprene rather than latex neck), seal skin socks and wicking undergarments and once the water starts to cool towards to the end of September I think that these will become first choice for Autumn (and Spring). I am thinking that perhaps I might invest in a 'complete' dry suit for the winter months should I have the luxury of affording this then but a mate of mine in North Devon uses a 'Steamer' wetsuit in the coldest months and swears that this is the 'way to go'.

There is plenty of stuff on this forum and links to and from associated websites to get a good idea of what to do clothing-wise to keep safe. I think that the best advice is to assume that you are going to fall in and that you need to dress according to the time of year that you do 'go swimming' (and that you could be in the water for a long time). I was turfed out twice yesterday with my 9 year old son in the space of 3 minutes; we were both togged up in a sensible manner and thus this was just another opportunity to try our recovery techniques but when you are swimming (drifting) around and the waves are buffeting it is easy to imagine how much more serious matters could be when the water temperature is ten degrees colder.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)