carp fishing tackle

s_mac

Hi S mac

Ok here is what i take fishing and by the sound of it you do as much fishing as i do, Bearing in mind i have been carping for about 5 yrs i have built up must of what i need but for you i would suggest this

1 bivvy ( Nothing special unless you have money to spare but nothing to cheap)

2x carp rods & baitrunners, if you use three you have to upgrade on your EA fishing licesence

2 x bite alarms, 2xbite indicators, and 4 bank sticks ( unless you want to buy an expensive pod, i would`nt bother with a cheap one not worth it.

1x carpbed

42" landing net & a good quality landing matt

Night: get a good head lamp, nothing worse than falling over your rod in the middle of the night and buzzers going off left right and centre

The rest is up to you things like tackle and alike i am sure you have a idea about.

In terms of piking, I guess you are going to use your carping gear, have done very little piking as you have to be sure about how to handle pike and I always go piking with some one who has at least a couple of years experience, there are guys on here that are great pikers and they would be the best to talk to. My only advice would be talk to them about piking. In terms of rods they will probably tell you to get a decent pair of carp rods and use them for both piking and carping.

Hope this helps, other people will probably cover things i have forgotten and alike

Good luck s mac

STC

Edited by smalltincup
It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi S mac

Ok here is what i take fishing and by the sound of it you do as much fishing as i do, Bearing in mind i have been carping for about 5 yrs i have built up must of what i need but for you i would suggest this

1 bivvy ( Nothing special unless you have money to spare but nothing to cheap)

2x carp rods & baitrunners, if you use three you have to upgrade on your EA fishing licesence

2 x bite alarms, 2xbite indicators, and 4 bank sticks ( unless you want to buy an expensive pod, i would`nt bother with a cheap one not worth it.

1x carpbed

42" landing net & a good quality landing matt

Night: get a good head lamp, nothing worse than falling over your rod in the middle of the night and buzzers going off left right and centre

The rest is up to you things like tackle and alike i am sure you have a idea about.

In terms of piking, I guess you are going to use your carping gear, have done very little piking as you have to be sure about how to handle pike and I always go piking with some one who has at least a couple of years experience, there are guys on here that are great pikers and they would be the best to talk to. My only advice would be talk to them about piking. In terms of rods they will probably tell you to get a decent pair of carp rods and use them for both piking and carping.

Hope this helps, other people will probably cover things i have forgotten and alike

Good luck s mac

STC

thnaks stc

as for the piking i was given the advice a while ago, about going with some one who knows. i will be fishing witha baliff from a local water.i agreed to supply his bait and he agreed to take and teach me. so not a bad swap lol. as i can get the bait for next to nothing.

taking on board what you said about the carp gear. the set i was looking at has, 2 rods, a bivvy, the chair come bed i guess. the bite alarms, indicatrors. just about what you said the kit i was looking at comes with.

the headlamp i still have from my sea fishing days.

woman want me, fish fear me

Glad to be of help, did the argos set come with a carpbed? It looked just like a chair to me I may be wrong as i didnt look very long or hard.

Hope it goes well, let me knw if you want any advice on the bridge swim at Walthamstow.

Cheers :thumbs:

STC

will check out the bed chair thing, and yes i will want some advice on the walthamstow swim. and if you do any pike this winter. let me know im come along and supply you with a years piking bait.

Cheers, i live in Devon so could be a bit of a trip :)

Right the best way of fishing it i found was to throw in 8-10 21mm halibet pellets about 3-4 Ft in front of the bridge, this draws the fish up river and out from under the bridge, do this the moment you get there as it give the fish time to drift up stream, also keep an eye on your bait in the river and throw more in as it gets eaten, the carp will eat it. The best bait I found was Luncheon meat but halibet pellets worked well, use them on a hair rig, with a running ledger.

The best time to fish it is early morning and late evening in to dusk, thats when the big barbel and chub get about, you will see the carp moving all day.

I found setting up as far back as you can is the best.

Its a small swim so its really only a one rod swim, you can use two but if you get a 10lb+ barbel on you could have problems landing it, I know :wallbash:

I fished it with a single carp rod, with a bite alarm, but do not leave your rod unattened as i lost a rod to a large barbel.

The best cast you can do is just off centre to the left as far under the bridge as possible, there was a patch of gravel about 2-3ft in under the bridge if you can land ur bait on that patch you are laughing :lol: , I have also used small PVA bags with free bees and small amount of ground bait. (pellets and hemp work well)

Now if you get a bite, the fish will bolt and I mean it will bolt, you won`t get any warning it will be off under the bridge like satan is on his tail :bye1: , what i found work well was to set your drag slighty tighter than normally it gives you a slight advantage. Once you have got the fish out from under the bridge, which could take a while you can play him in the pool in front of you. The way the swim is set up you can get your rod a good way out in the stream and play him out nice and safe from the bridge.

The bank is quite low so you will have no problems landing him.

The trick to this swim is to get your bait as far under the bridge as possible but not to far where it makes getting the fish out to difficult. I seem to remeber their being a few snags to the right of centre, but check it out.

If you are feeling brave you can float a piece of bread all the way under the bridge, good luck watched a bloke do that once and he ended up in the stream as the carp was to far under the bridge for him to get it out whilst on the bank.

Thats about it I think, the main thing is to get the cast right and then I think you will be away.

Good Luck, let me know how you get on, I often think about that little swim.

:fishing:

Cheers, i live in Devon so could be a bit of a trip :)

Right the best way of fishing it i found was to throw in 8-10 21mm halibet pellets about 3-4 Ft in front of the bridge, this draws the fish up river and out from under the bridge, do this the moment you get there as it give the fish time to drift up stream, also keep an eye on your bait in the river and throw more in as it gets eaten, the carp will eat it. The best bait I found was Luncheon meat but halibet pellets worked well, use them on a hair rig, with a running ledger.

The best time to fish it is early morning and late evening in to dusk, thats when the big barbel and chub get about, you will see the carp moving all day.

I found setting up as far back as you can is the best.

Its a small swim so its really only a one rod swim, you can use two but if you get a 10lb+ barbel on you could have problems landing it, I know :wallbash:

I fished it with a single carp rod, with a bite alarm, but do not leave your rod unattened as i lost a rod to a large barbel.

The best cast you can do is just off centre to the left as far under the bridge as possible, there was a patch of gravel about 2-3ft in under the bridge if you can land ur bait on that patch you are laughing :lol: , I have also used small PVA bags with free bees and small amount of ground bait. (pellets and hemp work well)

Now if you get a bite, the fish will bolt and I mean it will bolt, you won`t get any warning it will be off under the bridge like satan is on his tail :bye1: , what i found work well was to set your drag slighty tighter than normally it gives you a slight advantage. Once you have got the fish out from under the bridge, which could take a while you can play him in the pool in front of you. The way the swim is set up you can get your rod a good way out in the stream and play him out nice and safe from the bridge.

The bank is quite low so you will have no problems landing him.

The trick to this swim is to get your bait as far under the bridge as possible but not to far where it makes getting the fish out to difficult. I seem to remeber their being a few snags to the right of centre, but check it out.

If you are feeling brave you can float a piece of bread all the way under the bridge, good luck watched a bloke do that once and he ended up in the stream as the carp was to far under the bridge for him to get it out whilst on the bank.

Thats about it I think, the main thing is to get the cast right and then I think you will be away.

Good Luck, let me know how you get on, I often think about that little swim.

:fishing:

yeah could be a bit of a trip, but you never know one day. a weekend away from my missus lol. and fishing as well, some people dream about the lottery, i know what i dream of lol. thanks again, talk soon. and just to let you know, its a chair not a bed chair. looks like i will be sleeping sittin up lol, at least i will be half way there to getting the rod. lol.

Indeed nothing like being close to the rod. If you get down here let me know, can take you to a nice little fishery with a couple of 30 thirties and a few large catfish.

Good luck

David (STC) :clap:

Indeed nothing like being close to the rod. If you get down here let me know, can take you to a nice little fishery with a couple of 30 thirties and a few large catfish.

Good luck

David (STC) :clap:

i would be happy to drive down one time and fish. pm or email me and we can set something up sometime. your only a couple hours ealry drive from me in london. i would be happy to drive down day before and go b&b if need be.

sweet will set something up in the future, when me wife lets me out i shall be in contact. We have a 3 month old daughter so i have do no fishing this year, but on the 16-17 Sept me and a mate and me bro are going for the weekend as its my birthday.

STC

sweet will set something up in the future, when me wife lets me out i shall be in contact. We have a 3 month old daughter so i have do no fishing this year, but on the 16-17 Sept me and a mate and me bro are going for the weekend as its my birthday.

STC

congrats mate. i know the feeling. and just let me know anyway. as long as its weekend, then i free anytime mate.