Reel Drag

BedsFisherman

Hi guys,

Noob question again, with Drag on a reel does "more drag" mean the fish can pull line off when on a run easier?

I've been losing a few carp recently and noticed when the carp run it backwinds on the reel as opposed to using the drag, does that make sense? I think my drag it setup wrong but i'm not sure how it should be setup :o

Thanks in advance for your help

you need to switch on your anti-reverse,there should be a lever usually undernieth the body of the reel

anti_reverse_on.jpg

(image taken from http://www.cleverclaw.com/reels.htm )

this would prevent the handles spinning backwards and make the reel give line under tention (drag) from the spool either via the main clutch/drag at a pre-determined lever set by the angler or via the baitrunner / freespool (slipping clutch) system if engaged which is also user set.

the setting of drags/clutches to the right level/setting is a whole different matter (best to do a site search on that one [top right] )

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

More drag will mean your reel will apply extra tension to your line.

Ensure your anti-reverse is set so the spool will not spin and turn the handle at the same time ( in other words on ) when the line is pulled. Then adjust your drag . . you can see how much pressure is applied by pulling the line by hand. The drag setting will depend on the strength of your line etc. Dependant upon your experence I wuld recomend the drag is set slightly lighter and you can either apply more drag during the fight, or by placing a finger or thumb on the spool as it turns.

I would strongly recomend you ask another angler to assisit you with your initial setting.

Remember on fighting a fish, when it's close to the bank, almost ready for netting, it is likely it'll take fright and speed off. Be prepared and ensure you have slackened the drag a little at this stage. Keep you rod up and use it's flexable action to asorb shocks. Don't point the rod at the fish otherwise the action of the rod will not be in play and shocks will be transfered directly via the line to your reel and the hook.

Andrew Boyd

More drag will mean your reel will apply extra tension to your line.

Ensure your anti-reverse is set so the spool will not spin and turn the handle at the same time ( in other words on ) when the line is pulled. Then adjust your drag . . you can see how much pressure is applied by pulling the line by hand. The drag setting will depend on the strength of your line etc. Dependant upon your experence I wuld recomend the drag is set slightly lighter and you can either apply more drag during the fight, or by placing a finger or thumb on the spool as it turns.

I would strongly recomend you ask another angler to assisit you with your initial setting.

Remember on fighting a fish, when it's close to the bank, almost ready for netting, it is likely it'll take fright and speed off. Be prepared and ensure you have slackened the drag a little at this stage. Keep you rod up and use it's flexable action to asorb shocks. Don't point the rod at the fish otherwise the action of the rod will not be in play and shocks will be transfered directly via the line to your reel and the hook.

spot on,thast they way to play em!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!