BASS Membership Aplication

sam-cox

Hi Sam,

I don't deal with the membership applications but as, as far as I'm aware, I'm the first person to hear of your query I thought I'd better act. Can you tell me when you posted your application form? I'll forward that information along with your details onto the Treasurer/Membership bods to follow it up for you. Probably best if you PM me your postal address and e-mail address and we can get straight back to you ASAP.

If you had concerns the easiest, and best, course of action would have been to visit the BASS website Contact Page and e-mail the BASS Secretary or Treasurer. At the end of the day we can only address your query if we know about it - and we won't know if you don't contact us directly.

Regards . . . . John

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the BASS to prosses membership aplications.

Hi Sam,

Followed up your query as I promised. Had a reply this morning from our Treasurer. Your cheque was dated 23/08/06 which he received on the Weds 30th. He has forwarded this to the person who processes new members (should have it by this Saturday) - but I would imagine it will take at least another week before you receive anything.

I suppose it could be thought that this is slow. In our defence I would ask you you take into account that we are all voluntary workers who run the society in our 'spare' time. We do our best.

I notice you mention that you've commented previously about there being no facility to join on-line. There are various reasons for this (we have looked seriously at online joining) - our main concern is traceability of the monies. I don't want to go into the details, but it isn't a straightforward process. I'm sure you'll understand that any Treasurer has to be 100% happy that he can identify who has paid what. Also, because there would be a charge for administering the system BASS would lose a proportion of the membership amount in a fee to Paypal. Until we can resolve these issues we will not be offering an 'online joining' option.

Hope the above helps everyone . . .

Regards . . . . John

p.s. I would be interested to know if there are any other orgs. out there, relying solely on unpaid, voluntary staff who have successfully adapted to "paypal" (ie strike out the NFSA who have paid admin. staff to manage it)

Edited by Captain Black

That sounds great, and I wasnt really moaning.

I appreciate that BASS is run by un paid volunteers there for time and money are both precious commodities. If it could be made possible to join on-line and pay via Pay Pal then both time and money could be saved and its highly possable BASS would gain more members.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam,

as Hon. Sec. of BASS I have been made aware of your concerns, but only last evening after I had done a round trip of just over 500 miles and a days work when I got there, then drove home.

The membership admin only got your application this morning - he is going on holiday today but delayed going so as to despatch your new members pack before he left. It is being sent 2nd class, but should be with by Wednesday I would imagine.

It is great that you have joined and I have to say, with your Dad as keen on the conservation as he is I am surprised you were not already a member. I hope your enthusiasm to join will be reflected in your efforts to support the Society and the work that we do as well as the social and active side.

Welcome to BASS.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

That sounds great, and I wasnt really moaning.

I appreciate that BASS is run by un paid volunteers there for time and money are both precious commodities. If it could be made possible to join on-line and pay via Pay Pal then both time and money could be saved and its highly possable BASS would gain more members.

I note that Simon E. has posted and, as I don't want to 'flog this' anymore than is needed, I will try to be brief. I appreciate that your intention wasn't to moan, Sam. The trouble is other people might have interpreted it as such; i.e. that you had been waiting several weeks and hadn't had any response from BASS. Not good publicity for the Society.

With regard to Paypal see my earlier post. Using Paypal would cost BASS money, not save us. Also a two speed route into membership - means two different ways of processing memberships. Additional work. Additional scope for error. To save BASS money and the Treasurer time (as well as the member concerned) the best form of 'joining' BASS is to use a Standing Order Mandate.

One of our number spent a very long time the other day trawling through societies listed online, trying to find one that uses an online joining facility (where there are no paid admin staff) so we could see how they utilised the facility; British Conger Club, Catfish Club, England Youth Fly fishing Association, Barbel Society, and Shark Angling Club of GB, all societies similar to BASS, and couldn't find one. Most do not even offer a bank standing order arrangement (which BASS does).

Apologies for taking over this thread at such length but the point needed addressing.

Hope you enjoy your membership of BASS, Sam.

Regards . . . . John