Fluoro Knots

martinchick

I've heard that the knotless knot weakens the line.

In that ANY knot will weaken the line to some extent, that it true but the knotless knot should only weaken it by a tiny fraction. Given that mono absorbs water and becomes weaker while fluoro does not, you will have a stronger hooklength using fluoro of a given b/s and a knotless knot to make up your hair rig than you would with mono.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I dont use flurocarbon line much for coarse fishing as its properties dont fit any of the uses I would have for it!

I do however use it a lot and have done for many years for what it first was used for in the angling world and thats trout leaders.When I tie up tapered leaders or leaders with droppers on from fluro I always soak the lengths of line in water before tying them up (I use both the double grinner and four turn water knot for these and have no problems).Maybe this dodge would also help you?

I still use a seperate hair for most of my particle fishing for carp and in situations where the carp are wary of the hook length matiriel.I use a fine mono (2.5lb) hair.I tie a double overhand loop then attach it to the hook (which can be tied to the hook length with whichever knot you favour) by winding the mono around the shank close to the eye several (8+) times then applying a dab of super glue.I hold the hair to the shank with a piece of rubber tubbing that ensures that the hair comes of the shank in the correct position ie opposite the point.

With the "Knotless Knot" being so easy and so often used the true reasons behind the hair seem to have been forgotten.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 2 weeks later...

It might be obvious (or maybe not), but the best way to ensure strong nots in fluorocarbon is to buy a fluorocarbon that knots well. They do vary a lot - some behave as reliably as regular mono, while some can be very hit and miss as to the strength of knot you get.

Budgie - I doubt you can buy it in the UK but I have good luck with XPS (the BassPro house brand) for every application where I use fluoro.

Not tried it for hair rigs since I really like braid for that but elsewhere, it knots fine. Mostly palomar knots for me on hooks, swivels, lures, whatever.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I use Grand Riverge but only for fly fishing.I havnt ever really felt the need to use it for course fishing as the reason I use it for fly fishing is its stiffness (helps "turnover") and I cant see this property being of much use in my course fishing.

I personally (despite the science) dont think that in practice it is any less visable than normal mono in the water.Not that I really think this matters.For me the suppleness of the hook link material is of more importance when bait fishing.I think flurocarbons stiffness would actually be a disadvantage in most bait fishing situations.

Im obviously not talking about carp "stiff rigs" here,all though even then Ive found the superior reliability of knotting "Amnesia" makes this a better material for this.

I honestly believe that in the case of the UK coarse market weve just had something pushed on us under the guise that its better because its more "invisible".Strange how a lot of this started off in the carp world where for many years now they have been sugesting that an "invisible" line bumped into could spook a carp more than a "visible" one!

Rather than just singing its praises the people who rate it for coarse fishing could tell me/us exactly "why" they rate it and what benifits they believe it gives.

Much why I questioned Limestones preferences despite agreeing with what he said.Without giving the brands he has used and what he has found it is rather pointless,or certainly incomplete.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Rather than just singing its praises the people who rate it for coarse fishing could tell me/us exactly "why" they rate it and what benifits they believe it gives.

Fluoro is certainly not an 'always use for any circumstance' line material but it does have very specific characteristics and if you need those, it is a good main line to use.

It is heavier than water while mono is about neutral and braid is lighter. If you want a sinking line without having to mess with back leads, fluoro might well serve. If you lure fish and want to have your lures work at a greater depth than otherwise, fluoro is great.

It has slightly more stretch than braid but way less than mono. If feel is important and you don't want braid, fluoro is your choice. If you are fishing at range and don't want braid, fluoro is your choice.

It does not absorb water like mono does so no loss of strength on that account. It does not break down quickly due to age or exposure to sunlight so if you need to fish a light b/s line and hate to change line really often and don't want to use braid (or cannot because of lake rules), it is probably your best option.