What rod now please, anyone help.

bigmark

Hello all, I've been coarse fishing now only a couple of weeks with my float rod and having a whale of a time but notice some people fishing with what i know now to be a feeder, a little plastic tube type of thing which they put maggots or ground bait in.

What I would like to know is what sort of rod do I need for this type of fishing as I've been looking at various ad's and the amount of rods to choose from is starting to make my head hurt. Some are light medium and heavy ? some seem to come with 3 tips and some dont ? I dont want to make a mistake and buy the wrong rod. Also why were on the subject, what about a carp rod I notice these come in different types with test curve, how do I know which one of these to choose. My normal lake holds carp to about 20lb but I will be trying other lakes where carp are in there 30's.

Thanks in advance guys

Mark.

Hello all, I've been coarse fishing now only a couple of weeks with my float rod and having a whale of a time but notice some people fishing with what i know now to be a feeder, a little plastic tube type of thing which they put maggots or ground bait in.

What I would like to know is what sort of rod do I need for this type of fishing as I've been looking at various ad's and the amount of rods to choose from is starting to make my head hurt. Some are light medium and heavy ? some seem to come with 3 tips and some dont ? I dont want to make a mistake and buy the wrong rod. Also why were on the subject, what about a carp rod I notice these come in different types with test curve, how do I know which one of these to choose. My normal lake holds carp to about 20lb but I will be trying other lakes where carp are in there 30's.

Thanks in advance guys

Mark.

Firstly you will need a feeder or quiver rod depending on what you are going to fish for using it. Pesonally I would go for the miiddy m4 feeder rod the only one you will need, as it does everything from light quiver tip fishing or heavy feeder work. As for carp rods, depends on how far you are going to have to cast. If you are going to be chucking 50-60 yards max then 2.5tc will do the job. Any further then you will need to step up, for example if you going to try and chuck 100 yards+ then you will need 3lb tc. Hope this hepls you.

Paul

Thanks for the reply guys.

As regards to my local fishing, I have only fished one lake as im just getting used to setting up the float and catching some fish. There are a few other waters near to me that I havent yet been to so Im not really sure as yet what sort of fish are on offer there. The idea as seph said regarding a rod with different tips would probably be my best bet then I can just change the tips to account for the type of fishing I am expecting.

Are there any other rods in that sort of frame bracket that I could choose from. Im not really looking on spending loads on one rod as there are lots of other equipment I am needing to get.

The middy m4 is about £70 I think and considering it will do the job of at least 6 different rods it is good value. I cannot think of a similar rod available that does the same job for that sort of money. I do not use mine much these days, but it does come out in the winter quite often.

Paul

WHOA!!! (Sorry Seph!) But please do NOT rush into anything!!! Time is of the essence! I could reccomend any number of rods and the middy is proably a very nice rod. BUT Middy do NOT make rods!!! They make TACKLE!! So the rod is something bought in to bolster the range of tackle Middy make!

I am not about to reccomend any sort of rod (God knows I could!! I sell enough!) But please take time to have a look at your LOCAL tackle shop. IF they are ANY good they will help you find a rod which is suited to YOU and not just your pocket!

NAd if you want a feeder rod or a quiver rod or a CARP rod! These are 3 totally differnt rod!! No one is as good as the other! I mean look at it this way, a 12lb Quiver boat rod COULD be used as any of the above! BUT would you? I would be quite happy to but Seph CERTAINLY would not!! So please do not launch yourself headlong into anything. ASk, ASK and ASK again!!!

Then buy the Middy rod if you want!!! :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I'd go for an Avon twin-tip type setup. That way, you have several rods in one. Depending on the manufacturer and the price, you might get one, possibly two butt sections, a spare middle section for adding length, several quiver-tips, a regular match tip and other features like tip-light slots for night fishing, line clips etc.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

WHOA!!! (Sorry Seph!) But please do NOT rush into anything!!! Time is of the essence! I could reccomend any number of rods and the middy is proably a very nice rod. BUT Middy do NOT make rods!!! They make TACKLE!! So the rod is something bought in to bolster the range of tackle Middy make!

I am not about to reccomend any sort of rod (God knows I could!! I sell enough!) But please take time to have a look at your LOCAL tackle shop. IF they are ANY good they will help you find a rod which is suited to YOU and not just your pocket!

NAd if you want a feeder rod or a quiver rod or a CARP rod! These are 3 totally differnt rod!! No one is as good as the other! I mean look at it this way, a 12lb Quiver boat rod COULD be used as any of the above! BUT would you? I would be quite happy to but Seph CERTAINLY would not!! So please do not launch yourself headlong into anything. ASk, ASK and ASK again!!!

Then buy the Middy rod if you want!!! :)

FWIW Some carp rods and feeder rods use the same blanks. It is possible to use one rod for two jobs therefore. ( However, not terribly cool!) A fairly heavy feeder rod will handle carp well enough, and by putting a threaded tip ring on a carp rod you can use it for feeder fishing. It will not gain you admiration, but could save you money.

Edited by Excalibur