A SEASONS WORTH OF SARDINES AND MACKEREL

s_mac

Im looking for someone to teach me pike fishing, dont want to go it alone, as i dont have a clue and i know you need a year or two experience before going it alone.

if some one cn teach me in the middlesex area, i would be grateful and i would in turn for the knowledge supply 20kg mackerel, 20kg sardines and other sea baits that would be used.

you can leave a post or PM or Email me.

then we can get chat about gear needed, i have aquired what i think are the basics, but you can help me with the rest,

many thanks to all who take the time.

regards

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

Guest Brumagem Phil

Why do you need someone to show you? Have a search around AN, there are some excellent articles packed with advice. Leon Roskilly in particular has written some great stuff.

All I did was spent a few evenings hoovering up all the advice I could on here and then went fishing.

The second fish I caught (to a surface fished lure) took the lure right down its gill rakers..........I sh*t myself but I stayed calm and cut the line and because I'd crushed all the barbs it came out the gill covers nicely with negligible damage and went back safe and sound.

Its not rocket science........dont let em run for ages with a dead bait in case they try and swallow it.............dont play em too long.........dont keep em out the water longer than you have too and make sure you are confident they will swim away strongly before letting em go. Not much else to it really.......treat em with some respect thats all.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Why do you need someone to show you? Have a search around AN, there are some excellent articles packed with advice. Leon Roskilly in particular has written some great stuff.

All I did was spent a few evenings hoovering up all the advice I could on here and then went fishing.

The second fish I caught (to a surface fished lure) took the lure right down its gill rakers..........I sh*t myself but I stayed calm and cut the line and because I'd crushed all the barbs it came out the gill covers nicely with negligible damage and went back safe and sound.

Its not rocket science........dont let em run for ages with a dead bait in case they try and swallow it.............dont play em too long.........dont keep em out the water longer than you have too and make sure you are confident they will swim away strongly before letting em go. Not much else to it really.......treat em with some respect thats all.

I think it is totally admirable that someone should have followed all the advice given on various websites and has asked for tuition before setting off alone. If only more people had the same responsible attitude.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I think it is totally admirable that someone should have followed all the advice given on various websites and has asked for tuition before setting off alone. If only more people had the same responsible attitude.

thanks peter for that. i have talked to alot of people about the right gear and equipment, and the main advice was get a year or two under your belt with someone who knows what they are doing.

so im doing just that.

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

I remember being amazed, the first time I saw someone turn a large like onto its back, sit astride it and then slide a finger along the gill cover to the V of the jaw to pull its mouth open. I would never have thought of doing thay if somebody hadn't shown me. The same with extracting a hook via the gill raker, although you have to be supremely confident to attempt that without the risk of causing damage (to yourself and to the pike). There is also the technique of using two pairs of forceps to stop the hooks from flying about. Some things just don't always come naturally to you, especially the realisation that pike are extremely delicate and need very skillful handling.

If it was enforceable, I would like to see a rule made that would prevent novices from fishing for pike until they have proved their competence.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.