Mullet

Norm B

:clap2: This was originally posted on the mullet post but it disappeared so I'll write it again.

I went out for a couple of hours late yesterday afternoon for a crack at the mullet as I'd not been out for quite a while due to being too busy or weather and tides not suitable and was suffering withdrawal symptons. I threw in some ground bait and there was soon a shoal of mullet between 1 and 2lbs attacking it, not mouthing or nudging but attacking, a rare sight. They were small so I legered some bread as the bigger ones tend to be deep when the tiddlers are on top. First bite produced a bass of about 1.5lb, that went back. Then a good hit which I connected with, a better bass I thought, wrong, by the dogged fight I knew it was a good mullet. Five minutes later a 5lb plus, even 6lb maybe was in the net, no scales, no camera, no witness, that's my "Mission Accomplished" badge gone again. I must get organised sometime. Another couple of bass put back then a mullet of about 3lb came to the net. It was now slack water and all went quiet so I went home contented. :clap2:

Leon

How did you get on at Christchurch?

er, I was the only one who blanked :(

(This is becoming my speciality at fish-ins!)

Quite a tide, and lots of weed

and you know how we often complain about swans invading our swim in the Medway............

242269228_efdcbd822a_m.jpg

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Sep 11 2006, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: This was originally posted on the mullet post but it disappeared so I'll write it again.

I went out for a couple of hours late yesterday afternoon for a crack at the mullet as I'd not been out for quite a while due to being too busy or weather and tides not suitable and was suffering withdrawal symptons. I threw in some ground bait and there was soon a shoal of mullet between 1 and 2lbs attacking it, not mouthing or nudging but attacking, a rare sight. They were small so I legered some bread as the bigger ones tend to be deep when the tiddlers are on top. First bite produced a bass of about 1.5lb, that went back. Then a good hit which I connected with, a better bass I thought, wrong, by the dogged fight I knew it was a good mullet. Five minutes later a 5lb plus, even 6lb maybe was in the net, no scales, no camera, no witness, that's my "Mission Accomplished" badge gone again. I must get organised sometime. Another couple of bass put back then a mullet of about 3lb came to the net. It was now slack water and all went quiet so I went home contented. :clap2:

:clap: Tried the same spot again this evening. Mullet and shoal bass feeding when I arrived, some good bass to 4lb showing so I put a 6/0 hook on my mullet rod and a egg size lump of bread and freelined it. Take straight away, 2lb bass, knocked on head for dinner tomorrow. Started fishing for mullet, had a knock which turned into a good run but line parted for some reason. Retackled and soon had another knock which turned out to be another 2lb bass, taken the hook deep and blood coming from throat so that's another dinner. Took a while for the next bite but in came a better bass, about 3lb but had two dinners already so it went back. Next bite was yet another 2lb bass, like peas in a pod, that went back and I gave up and went home early. If the bass are there in numbers, don't bother, they always beat the mullet to the bait. What was it somebody said about bass making a good skate bait! :clap2: