St Katherines Dock, London

jedibond

Afternoon all, does anyone know if you're allowed to fish in here at all ? A colleague has just moved into a flat near there and fancys dipping a rod or two in there.

Ta

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

I work about five hundred yards away from St Katherines dock and have never seen anyone fish there, I know Bob Nudd did some filming there but he's the only angler I have ever even heard of fishing it.

To be honest I wouldn't want to fish there as it's full of tourists, I can just imagine never bieng left alone for five minutes!

I used to work there. Never tried fishing the docks themselves - almost certainly not allowed, but there's a canal that runs under Vaughan Road and I think residents are allowed to fish in there. I've seen some carp in there, and tried taking a rod into work one day. Some big chap came storming out of his house within seconds of me setting up and non-too-politely pointed out the no fishing sign (that I honestly hadn't seen!) and I think he said it was residents only. It was a little while ago so I can't remember precisely what he said, and of course the rules may have changed by now.

There is another place that as far as I know is ok to fish, called Shadwell Basin in Glamis Road, turn right out of St Katherines dock and follow the Highway up about half a nile to the traffic lights that cross Glamis Road, turn right go down to the red iron bridge and fish almost underneath, if you go past the Prospect Of Whitby pub then you have gone too far.

I have seen guys fish there in the past catching Carp on the float almost under the bridge.

There is another place that as far as I know is ok to fish, called Shadwell Basin in Glamis Road, turn right out of St Katherines dock and follow the Highway up about half a nile to the traffic lights that cross Glamis Road, turn right go down to the red iron bridge and fish almost underneath, if you go past the Prospect Of Whitby pub then you have gone too far.

I have seen guys fish there in the past catching Carp on the float almost under the bridge.

That's right - thinking about it, the canal I mentioned links up to Shadwell Basin. Remember seeing a lot of fish in there, but never had the chance to try it out myself.

You can't fish it, you can fish very near there though. Both Millwall dock and West India Quay. Very deep, about 40ft, huge shoals of bream,roach and some large perch

It's controlled by Docklands Angling consortium, ring 020 7517 5550 for more details. The baliff is a guy called Mark Gange

Dan

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys, all tips passed on to my colleague.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"