How to use a whip

s_mac

Hi all.

purchased a 5m whip today from a car boot for £3.00, its telescopic, with an eye ring at the top.

what i would like to know, is how i set it up, with what poundage line and hook length, and do i just tie line straight to the eye ring. also, would i just use normal pole floats for the location.

I have never used one, and would like to give it a go on the canal i fish regulary.

many thanks and regards

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

Hi mate, I know Harrow quite well, I used to live in Ruislip for many years and fished the canals all over that area.

A whip is a powerful bit of fishing tackle on any canal and is great fun to use and can increase your catch rate in the right swims.

The idea of a whip is that you basically swing the fish to hand without breaking the whip down.

You should start on something like 1.5lb main line and a finer hook length and a normal pole float of any type will do.

You should with a little practive manage to cast underarm, never overarm, that just won't do.

Feed and fish the area within easy comfortable reach and allow a little margin of error just in case you hook a decent sized fish.

Always feed the same line as the pole float and don't scatter the feed too far, remember you are fishing a narrower area for actually catching fish so you must be acurate with feed etc.

Where abouts are you fishing round Harrow or are you going further afield to Greenford, Perivale etc?

If I were you I would swot up on Hemp fishing since the weathers still so warm it may be worth giving that a go, there's nothing like catching fish on a whip and even better when you get them going on the Hemp!

Good luck mate.

Hi mate, I know Harrow quite well, I used to live in Ruislip for many years and fished the canals all over that area.

A whip is a powerful bit of fishing tackle on any canal and is great fun to use and can increase your catch rate in the right swims.

The idea of a whip is that you basically swing the fish to hand without breaking the whip down.

You should start on something like 1.5lb main line and a finer hook length and a normal pole float of any type will do.

You should with a little practive manage to cast underarm, never overarm, that just won't do.

Feed and fish the area within easy comfortable reach and allow a little margin of error just in case you hook a decent sized fish.

Always feed the same line as the pole float and don't scatter the feed too far, remember you are fishing a narrower area for actually catching fish so you must be acurate with feed etc.

Where abouts are you fishing round Harrow or are you going further afield to Greenford, Perivale etc?

If I were you I would swot up on Hemp fishing since the weathers still so warm it may be worth giving that a go, there's nothing like catching fish on a whip and even better when you get them going on the Hemp!

Good luck mate.

Hi, thanks for the advice, im fishing the strectch between greenford and sudbury, just under the bridge, getting nice roach and bream.

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

I sell the whips on the markets but i elasticate all mine. I usually use around a 6 or 8 elastic but as I have around 10,000 elastics to hand it is NOT a problem!! :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Telescopic whips are normally fished to hand.

For example - a 5 meter whip can have a rig of just under 5 meters attached (so you can swing small fish to hand).

Most whip fishing is for small fish on the drop involving small pole floats, small wagglers or a small float such as a stillwater blue insert float. I prefer a small insert waggler as they are easier to swing than a light pole float.

The great thing with a 5m whip is that you can fish out at 9m in a meter of water or at 8m in two meters of water etc etc.

The idea is to swing your rig out in a straight line in front of you keeping direct contact with the float.

Modern carbon whips are mainly a mix of telescopic and put over top two three's or fully put over all the way through and normally come with a top two/three flick tip to be used as above and top two/three kits that can be elasticated incase of bonus fish and used with short rigs - long pole style.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!