A little advice in microsoft word please

bushwacker

John you are 100% correct with the decimal point being familiar to most people, it does however start to break down if thats the wording for it in certain circumstances.

This is going to be difficult for me to explain what I mean so bear with me on this if it isn't very clearly worded, (me being thick :lol: )

For instance 1/3 expressed as a decimal .333 recuring, but as a fraction is always constant. If for example 21/27, how do you work out the decimal of that? I can't for the life of me remember from school how to do it. I can remember common denominators etc but alas. I think I'm a bit too long in the tooth to go to school to learn them again, but......................

A lot of it that I need to do is based on imperial measurements so the decimal equivalents charts in my old Moore and Wright micrometer book (now nealy 40 years old by the way, got it when I first started as an apprentice) comes in really usefull for some of the less regularly used equivalents, and for Imperial to Metric and vice versa conversions.

I hope that lot makes sense to you, I know what I mean :D

Thanks for the help and advice every-one.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

If for example 21/27, how do you work out the decimal of that?

If your long division is not up to it then do the following. Click on start, then run, type in calc and hit return.

When the calculator comes up type in 21, then click on '/', type in 27, click on '='. answer is precisely 0.777777778.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks corydoras. That brings back how to do it, it's a long time since I had to do any long division.

I also learnt that you can get into the calculator from the start button, I aways went the long way round it, going into all programmes, accessories, then calc.

Thanks for the TWO things that you helped me with.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"