A little boat help....

Davor

Apologies for jumping right in with questions without contributing anything but here goes.

I live in Plymouth and have shore fished all my life but bizarrely, given my location, I've never fished from a boat, not once. Currently I'm having a mini mid-life crisis (rapidly approaching 40) and whilst looking for a cure to the boredom of day to day life suddenly hit upon the idea of buying a boat. Don't panic, I've already contacted the sailing school and got dates for the courses they suggest and I shall also be tracking down a copy of the book I see Neville Merritt has written.

My question is more to do with the reality of combining what I want with what the woman wants.

I want a boat that 4 can fish comfortably from and the good lady will require it to have certain comforts when it's used for leisure (somewhere to sit out of the weather, possibly sleep, toilet etc..).

Is it a pipe dream to combine the two? Can a boat be kept clean if it's used for fishing (woman clean that is, not what I consider clean), are boats aimed at leisure just unsuitable for fishing and vice versa?

I certainly can't stretch to a new boat but have a budget of maybe £20k with a bit of movement either way.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Apologies for jumping right in with questions without contributing anything but here goes.

I live in Plymouth and have shore fished all my life but bizarrely, given my location, I've never fished from a boat, not once. Currently I'm having a mini mid-life crisis (rapidly approaching 40) and whilst looking for a cure to the boredom of day to day life suddenly hit upon the idea of buying a boat. Don't panic, I've already contacted the sailing school and got dates for the courses they suggest and I shall also be tracking down a copy of the book I see Neville Merritt has written.

My question is more to do with the reality of combining what I want with what the woman wants.

I want a boat that 4 can fish comfortably from and the good lady will require it to have certain comforts when it's used for leisure (somewhere to sit out of the weather, possibly sleep, toilet etc..).

Is it a pipe dream to combine the two? Can a boat be kept clean if it's used for fishing (woman clean that is, not what I consider clean), are boats aimed at leisure just unsuitable for fishing and vice versa?

I certainly can't stretch to a new boat but have a budget of maybe £20k with a bit of movement either way.

Thanks in advance for any help.

For £20k you should find a boat to suit all needs no problems at all, and if you buy right, you can actually make money when it comes the time to sell, wait a few months until the season is over and it will be a buyers market, youll get a good boat at a good price.

ps buy private, to get the best value for money.

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Have a look at this one in Plymouth.

Boat for sale

I have no links with the vendor other than to ask him a couple of questions about it.

I know a little about this boat, worth a look, the inside is very nice, she has been fussed over, I seem to remember a figure less than the asking price was mentioned?

There are one or two of us on her who positively encourage our partners company afloat. Personally, its the best, especially if the lady gets to like the occasional fish? But if not, radio (Terry Wogan :lol: ) a few magazines and the encouragement to keep the tea and hot pies coming, my Hazel loves to be on board, and I love to have her with me, I tell her so on a regular basis :wub:

Dont encourage her to much when the weather is marginal or cold, she will find her own comfort zone? But the basis of the question, 'can a fishing boat be kept clean', yes but you have to be fussy yourself, and dont expect 'to clean' in the cockpit when fish are coming over the side! A bucket and sponge kept handy is the answer, and a cotton absorbent mat at the cabin door, washed regularly.

When Hazel does not come fishing with me, she makes sure there is a pack-up; tea bags and milk for all who will be on board, queen of the meat pastie, my Hazel. My regular crew, are very grateful and see that she knows her efforts are appreciated. They will be taking her to the local am-dram 'My Fair Lady' in October. Yes my boat is very much a joint effort x 5? me, my two regular crew and Hazel, whoops forgot the 'sea dog' Oliver, that makes 5! By the way, I will be going to 'MFL' just see 'fair play', :lol:

CJS2, Cliff, :ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

Have a look at this one in Plymouth.

Boat for sale

I have no links with the vendor other than to ask him a couple of questions about it.

Think I can feel a "mini mid life crisis" coming on Lovely boat Stoaty.

The only thing with owning a boat though as I am sure you know is that they EAT money more than women.

That looks a nice boat. You never know, given the time of year it might still be around when I'm ready to buy.

Do you think it comes with a Hazel though? Because if I 'encouraged' my missus to keep me and my mates fed and watered while we fished I suspect I might have a long swim home. :P

have a look on boats and outboards they have loads

i wouldn't go fo something too big as a first boat 20-22 foot would be the maximum

there are loads of arvor or jeaneaus out there which would suit you perfectly

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

have a look on boats and outboards they have loads

i wouldn't go fo something too big as a first boat 20-22 foot would be the maximum

there are loads of arvor or jeaneaus out there which would suit you perfectly

My mate has a Merry Fisher 605, she's a beauty, inboard diesel on a shaft and she is extreamly economical, we can get three trips out of a the tank that costs only £40 to fill. Wouldn't like to fish four people from her, three max as we like our room.

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Three is probably enough for the fishing actually, my normal group is me and 2 mates. Having had a look around in the last hour these Merry Fishers look like nice little boats.

One thing I don't really understand due to a lack of basic knowledge is the price differences between similar looking boats. The Arvor models that appear comparable seem much more expensive than the Jeanneaus.