any yakers in the weymouth area

jonnyboy

Hi Aidy

Not sure what the habour is like over the autumn and winter. Zzippy and I fished there in winter sometime (can't remember when exactly) - I don't think we caught much if anything inside the harbour on that occassion but did pick up dogfish just outside the middle breakwater entrance.

Lots of fish showed on the fishfinder when I fished there the other day - I would have thought they should be there for another 4 weeks before the temperature starts to drop. HMS Hood is supposed to be a good mark for pollack - I wonder if they stay around during the autumn and winter. Given the size of the wreck and abundance of food there must be resident conger there.

I lifted up a number of spider crabs the other day of good eating size.. the problem is how do you store them they're huge and my tankwell is not!

The scad I caught were about 3/4 pound each.. trying this recipe for lunch.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems the old girl had some bad luck in her old age ,great to think she is now a fishy haven.

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Hi Jonnyboy

I'm from Wareham and fish mainly around the Purbecks. Have been meaning to give Portland Harbour a go all summer but have not had the time to get around to it. Any idea what the fishing is like through the autumn/winter anyone?

Speciman: I'm not surprised you found it a bit rough yesterday, I sold my sole to the devil and accompanied some lads from work on a charter out of Weymouth. Coming back over the Portland races was pretty exciting, but the fishing was cut short cos of the weather with only one decent bream to show for my efforts. It crossed my mind at the time that I'd probably have been better off on the yak in the harbour.

Johnnyboy: I'm on decorating duty for the next few weeks :wallbash: but if you fancy meeting up for a fish some time, give me a shout.

Aidy

Hi Aidy, cant PM on this bloomin forum until ive posted a certain amoun tof posts it seems.

Most of my Bassing is done along the purbecks from the shore tho', I'd love to meet up for a fish if you can get out of decorating duty that is!!! I know what that is like!!

I was thinking of launching at Kimmmeridge and heading along to chapmans pool, or arish mell or all the places you cant get to by foot!!

Went out on the YAK for the first time this avo, in portland harbour. a bit rough for a first time but she handled well

My email is jjhulland@hotmail.com if you want to get in touch any time

Tight lines

Jon

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

Hi Aidy

Not sure what the habour is like over the autumn and winter. Zzippy and I fished there in winter sometime (can't remember when exactly) - I don't think we caught much if anything inside the harbour on that occassion but did pick up dogfish just outside the middle breakwater entrance.

Any suggestions on good winter marks around bournemouth/weymouth?

My local winter fishing will be flattie bashing in Poole Harbour, herring bashing around the entrance, ray bashing around the Swanage area, ray cod and whiting bashing in Poole & Christchurch Bay. Further afield Solent and Needles area to try for cod and whiting.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

My local winter fishing will be flattie bashing in Poole Harbour, herring bashing around the entrance, ray bashing around the Swanage area, ray cod and whiting bashing in Poole & Christchurch Bay. Further afield Solent and Needles area to try for cod and whiting.

I was actually planning on a poole harbor trip this thurs but the weather says 24mph winds :( is it sheltered enough in the harbor?

Met Office is predicting strong winds but MetCheck is predicting light. Too early to say what the weather will be like. Maybe a question of deciding night before or turning up on the day to see for yourself but a strong westerly will probably make the fishing unpleasant in the harbour - there are places in lee of the wind which you could try (eg easterly side of Brownsea) but you will have to paddle into the wind to get to or back from these places.

Nearby alternative venues could be Studland Bay (tucked in under cliffs western side) or Swanage Bay.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

looks like another Dorset/Purbeck meet may be on the cards?

If I get a free window, I'll be in touch Jon.

Kimmeridge, Chapmans and Warbarrow are my usual stamping grounds, so would be well up for a get together. Darnsarf is another fan of this area and a few of the others such as Richi, Paintfly etc visit from time to time.

Aidy

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)

looks like another Dorset/Purbeck meet may be on the cards?

If I get a free window, I'll be in touch Jon.

Kimmeridge, Chapmans and Warbarrow are my usual stamping grounds, so would be well up for a get together. Darnsarf is another fan of this area and a few of the others such as Richi, Paintfly etc visit from time to time.

Aidy

Good idea, let's do it soon while the weather's still reasonably good. It's a pity the overnight car parking is a problem at K'ge which rules out night sessions (couldn't we have a chat with someone and explain what we're doing, come to an arrangement re: fees?) Otherwise, launching at Lulworth Cove for Arish and Warbarrow is possible. Park near the Church up the road and trolley down the hill to launch, then drive down and load up in the morning if it's early enough. A bit more effort, but do-able.

Good idea, let's do it soon while the weather's still reasonably good. It's a pity the overnight car parking is a problem at K'ge which rules out night sessions (couldn't we have a chat with someone and explain what we're doing, come to an arrangement re: fees?) Otherwise, launching at Lulworth Cove for Arish and Warbarrow is possible. Park near the Church up the road and trolley down the hill to launch, then drive down and load up in the morning if it's early enough. A bit more effort, but do-able.

"NIGHT SESSION!!!!!, IN A KAYAK, OFF KIMMERIDGE :blink::blink:

The guy at Kimmeridge is a bit of a jobs worth, but i never complain as when we night fish (from the shore i hasten to add) he goes around at about 11pm writing down all the number plates of the cars left in the carpark. I thought he was doing it to report us, but what he actually does is if the car is still there in the morning, he informs the coastguard, what an invaluable safety net to have particularly as every bloody step you take out there could be your last!!!! :headhurt:

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network