Is a Scupper Pro ok

englander

Hi all,

I might be getting a scupper pro angler, any comments on how good or bad they are would be well recieved, I won't be getting it for a pair of weeks so I have time to change my mind etc.

I would be using it along the solent/ hillhead & warsash/ hamble river.

Cheers

All kayaks have their pros and cons and the Scupper Pro is no exception.

Cons:

If you are a beginner I advise to try one out first as although it is a stable kayak it will feel tippy (lower primary stability) compared to wider kayaks and will take a bit more getting used to compared to some others. Its also suited to slimmer paddlers so if you are a big chap definitely sit in one first.

You sit lower down and water will get into the cockpit if the water is choppy but because it is a snug fit there is not much space for the water to go and you won't take much on board.. if you wear dry trousers or a dry suit this will not be an issue. Bear in mind that in poor conditions you will get water in the cockpit no matter which model you choose.

Reentrys are more tricky too compared to some of the wider kayaks but with practice in a sheltered area where you are not of your depth you should get the technique. For this reason some others may not recommend the Scupper as a first kayak.

Pros

For a plastic sit on top this is a fast efficient kayak. You will save energy paddling this kayak compared to most of the other models, it paddles well into the wind and it doesn't need a rudder. Its more suited to distance work. Despite the lower seating position I can fish side on. Because of the seating position it feels more like you are in a kayak rather than sitting on top of one and for me that enhances my kayak fishing experience. :)

Where abouts are you buying your anglers edition kayaks from?

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Thanks for the replies,

Its was advertised in a local free paper, seller is away at the mo, therefore giving me some check out time.

I am already getting concerned on the length of it, as at 4.5m its nearly as long as me 4x4 shogun sport, plus I'm 5'7/ 12 stone (short'n' dumpy) so I will need to reach up to the 6' roof height first, lucky its only 25kg so I will have to get some weights out to check liftability or build a ramp/ roof lifter out of uni strut etc.

I've also got a chance of buying a Scrambler (standard) for 300 inc seat & Oars.

So I'll keep reading ya forum & take all the advice you kindly give.

Thank you

I'm glad your still here,

I thought you may have been put off by the photo above

anyway welcome to the mad house :)

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

englander. welcome.

Shame we didnt see this last night you could have come down to the hamble and seen one in the flesh.

Everyone knows I am the Scuppers biggest fan but I have previous experience. For a novice as long as you are willing to learn to walk before you run its a great ride. The waters you are paddling will make a great learning ground. Only HIllhead might require the Scuppers sea keeping abilities.

I often compare the Scupper to learning to ride a bike. She isnt the easiest to start on but like a racing bike its where many end up.

She isnt difficult to handle it is more a confidence thing. You are the right size so thats not an issue. To give you an idea my wilfe has only paddled one yak in the sea and that was the Scupper. In small breakers and light swell she had no problems and at no point did she feel unstable.

It may sound odd but it is on calm waters that the yak feels slightly unstable but with experience you soon realise that it is an illusion, once over the primary stability and into the secondary shes as solid as a rock.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

They are certainly a stable boat that have great sea keeping quallities. They are not designed for the sea conditions in the above picture but it's good to see what you can throw at them. The Scupper went through the waves in this picure and made it out into clean water.

Don't get any ideas though, the man in the kayak is an accomplished idiot, with years of experience at being stupid.... :crazy:

froth.jpg

Neil.

I'm the some others that Speciman mentions.

The Scupper Pro is perfect for the accomplished paddler or second time purchase, if your unfit or have never paddled a canoe or kayak I would seriously recommend you look at purchasing another model.

Second hand values and demand remain high so having a Prowler, Drifter, Caper etc for a few months to cut your teeth on and then moving onto a Scupper shouldn't mean a huge hole in your pocket.

Have a sit in one and also try and have a paddle in a few models before choosing.

I fish the south coast and am happy to let you have a whirl in any of my fleet.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com