Have I got the right braid ?

bigmark

After getting fed up with paying £1.50 for my ready tied hair rigs I decided to tie my own. I had a go with nylon and all looked ok, so off I went to my local fishing shop to get some braid. I was recommended some silkworm made by kryston £8.95 for 20m so home I came and started to tie some up ready. After cutting a few pieces off I noticed on the packaging that it said weightless in water. So I made one up and popped it in a bowl of water to see how it looked.

Oh dear, the hook sank and so did the swivel at the other end but the braid in the middle comes up and floats.

Will this spook the fish or should I put some shots on to keep it down or is this braid no good for hair rigs.

Regards Mark.

And next time buy a braided hook length that sinks! Both Hutchy and Nash do them.

Heagh! but fair play to you for finding it out in the first place by testing it! So many just dont bother and havnt got a clue whats going on with their gear underwater.Apply that same sort of thinking to all your fishing Big Mark and you aint going to have any problems!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for the reply guys.

The thing is Budgie, I told the guy what I wanted it for. You would think that he would sell me a braid that sinks knowing I wanted to make hair rigs for carp fishing.

One thing that puzzles me though, is what is this braid used for as it can't be for main line as there's not enough on the spool ?

Another lesson learnt mate! not all tackle dealers know their oats!

As opposed to the origonal Dacron hook length braids (like Milwards Black Spider for example) the new generation HPPE (High Performance Polypropolyne(?) Extrusion) hook link braids such as Silkworm were all very bouyant.Many unthinking anglers didnt realise this and Im sure the "loop" problem you mention caused them lots of missed chances.When people realised this problem the tackle guys came out first with various sinking "puttys" (as Chavender mentions) to blob on them to stop this happening.Next logical step was to make/source and sell ones that sank!

Many still use the bouyant types quite unaware of the problem.Maybe on some waters the fish are that hungry it doesnt matter?

Dont be tempted to use some of the ultra thin braided mainlines for hook lengths though as they can cut the fishs mouth.

If you have any doubts about the properties of any bits of tackle just ask on here first as some one has bound to have used it/know of it and advise.Sad thing is not just that a lot of tackle shop people dont know its that they dont seem to care and havnt enough fore sight to see that selling something the wrong thing aint going to help future sales!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!