Red Gurnard in the Medway

Leon Roskilly

Looks definately like a Tub to me, though there is an arguement from certain sectors about hybrids around - but looks like a 100% Tub to me.

We get lots of Red Gurnards, and this year LOADS of Red Gurnards .... become bit of a pest sometimes, guys out on monday were picking them up 3 at a time on small baits. It used to be the Greys were in abundance compared to the Reds - this year though, the Reds seem to have had a population explosion - even this year seen (Black) Red Gurnads .... ones that have been living right on the edge or on the hard.

Heres a Red.

redgurnard.jpg

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I seen a few come out on the holderness coast doc

esspecially when the water is clear inshore

and im told brid north beach throws up the odd one to long range lobbin

Hi Chris, we used to get quite a few tub gurnards a couple of years back when out on the tope grounds (on baited feathers), not seen them so much inshore (off the beach). Although I have had grey gurnards off Brid Nth beach, they look very similar (despite the grey tag in the name). Greys like many species tend to take a body colour similar to the ground they live on, with the huge red algae beds just off the beach at Brid and along Sewerby to Danes Dyke and Sth Landing, its easy to see why they are a much deeper red than those greys living in deeper water on gravel etc. I've seen grey gurnards that for all intent and purpose would have been classed as red gurnards simply on the colour, but they had the spines along the lateral line which reds don't have. Reds are also distinctly uncommon in the Nth Sea.

Cheers

Doc.

Edited by The doctor

1z3010l.jpg

what species is this doc?

it was caught at holmpton last august

I can't be 100%, but it looks like a grey gurnard to me. It hasn't got the tourquoise banding on its pectoral fins, the lateral line appears to be raised and not smooth, as would be the case with a tub gurnard. the pelvic and pectoral fins appear to be equidistant from the vent, as opposed to the Red Gurnard who's pectoral fins reach the vent and are longer than the pelvic fins.

Yep definitely a grey gurnard.

Doc.