Fishing in Oxford

luckyjim

Im not sure how its fishing at the moment as im at aberystwyth for the next few weeks at least, and i know we have had rain, so i assume you will get it soon, and after that the thames will fish well.

It's been chucking it down and is still very mild Dave. I come over the Thames every morning to get to work and I reckon it's going to fish very well in the next few days, with any luck it'll hold some colour into the weekend. I'll be on a new section on Sunday - a big deep snaggy pool. There could be some monsters living down there!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

yep, probably some monster snags, waiting to snap up your end tackle!! :rolleyes:

seriously though, good luck, i dont think youve had a thames barbel or carp yet have you?

:P

Thanks for bringing that up!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

dont worry , your not the only one, i havent had a thames barbel or carp either, although i have had a thames tributary barbel, if that counts!

Its not Anderoo's fault I think the trout told the barbel he was after them and they've all legged it! I've never tried for the carp in the Thames round oxford but I've seen plenty of them, including them spawning! There can't be too many though as the carp anglers on Port Meadow (breaking the rules about night fishing and pitching tents by the way) always seem to have given up fishing for carp and are fishing for perch in my favourite spot! :angry:

Rich

Be careful about Port Meadow. I was brought up in Oxford and we always thought it was free fishing too. However a few years ago I noticed a NOAA (I think t was NOAA) notice on the meadow side by Aeroplane bridge. I enquired with the Freeman of Oxford and it seems the fishing rights belong to them and it was never free. However they never enforced it until they decided to ask the club in question to take it on.

Best ask in a tackle shop to be sure.

Be careful about Port Meadow. I was brought up in Oxford and we always thought it was free fishing too. However a few years ago I noticed a NOAA (I think t was NOAA) notice on the meadow side by Aeroplane bridge. I enquired with the Freeman of Oxford and it seems the fishing rights belong to them and it was never free. However they never enforced it until they decided to ask the club in question to take it on.

Best ask in a tackle shop to be sure.

Thanks for all the advice chaps - will make sure to check out the craic when my companions visit in a few weeks. Until then if anybody needs a ghillie on a trip feel free to drop me a message and I'll try and make some time; I've only been away from the river a few weeks and already getting withdrawal symptoms!

my e-mail is: james.mitchell@lincoln.ox.ac.uk

regards,

Lucky Jim

dont worry , your not the only one, i havent had a thames barbel or carp either, although i have had a thames tributary barbel, if that counts!

It certainly does - a great capture! :)

Its not Anderoo's fault I think the trout told the barbel he was after them and they've all legged it! I've never tried for the carp in the Thames round oxford but I've seen plenty of them, including them spawning! There can't be too many though as the carp anglers on Port Meadow (breaking the rules about night fishing and pitching tents by the way) always seem to have given up fishing for carp and are fishing for perch in my favourite spot!

Ah yes, on the tributary I'll blame the pesky trout! And on the main river the crayfish! And boats! And swimmers! And... actually maybe I'm just a bit crap :D

I did find a carp hot-spot but didn't really put any time in after the them (just 1 evening!) - there's so much great fishing around here I got completely sidetracked...maybe next year!

Lucky Jim, let me know when you get your permits and if we can fish the same stretches we could have a bash.

Edited by Anderoo

It certainly does - a great capture! :)

Only trouble is, i revisited the same river a few days after that, and fished into the dark, and noticed there where a few noisy anglers with bite alarms that i could hear from 500 yards away im my favourite swim, stealth certainly wasnt there strong point. ah well cant have it both ways. :huh:

although hopefully in the winter it will be a different story.