pressure

zedhead

Does anyone find that a change in pressure really effects how good the fishing is? Is this different for a mixture of species or is it more pronounced for say carp?

I always keep an eye out for changes in pressure but I have never really noticed changing pressure, either rising or fallling have made any real significance to my catches, despite the species im targeting, but id be interested to hear some evidence to the contrary.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Zedhead,

Go to http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/ they have a section for fishing,it appear to me that when the barometer level reduces that is the best time for fishing.

:o

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Oddly enough, I always seem to have a good day whenever the MetCheck fishing forecast is "poor"! :sun:

That's often true. :thumbs:

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

Fish cannot deduct changes in barometric pressure. If a fish moves and inch up or down in the water column that is equivalent to a massive change in barometric pressure.

They are of course sensitive to other changes in the weather such as temperature, cloud cover, rain and visibility

Fish cannot deduct changes in barometric pressure. If a fish moves and inch up or down in the water column that is equivalent to a massive change in barometric pressure.

They are of course sensitive to other changes in the weather such as temperature, cloud cover, rain and visibility

Is not that what is detected by the Barometer?

Fish cannot deduct changes in barometric pressure.

I would have to definately disagree with this bold statement! Not only am I convinced they detect changes in air pressure( I say this as changes in air pressure definately affect the behaviour of different species well in all fairness the weather conditions that the different air pessures cause) but also (based on thousands of hours of fishing) believe they can detect iminent changes!

Ive wrote loads on this subject in the past so wont bother here but if anyone wants it proving then just go fishing often enough! It is very apparent in the winter with the behaviour of predators and other fish.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Budgie,

Birds are very good at detecting changes in air pressure. You only have to watch a buzzard centering into the best lift in a thermal to see that. They have simple but very sensitive and well understood mechanisms for being able to do that. You therefore might possibly be able to persuade me that were a bird to sit motionless for long enough it might be able to dedect a change in barometric pressure. But probably not.

When the barometric (air) pressure changes there is no way that this can be detected by a moving creature immersed in water.

I am as certain as you that fish are aware of changes in the weather and may indeed be able to anticipate changes, but another explanation is needed. For example seafarers and farmers have always been able to foretell changes in weather based on the 'look' of the sky. Red skies and so on. I believe that, during their evolution, fish could well have learnt some rules based on what they can see that enable them to provide some form of forecast.

Regards

John

I would have to definately disagree with this bold statement! Not only am I convinced they detect changes in air pressure( I say this as changes in air pressure definately affect the behaviour of different species well in all fairness the weather conditions that the different air pessures cause) but also (based on thousands of hours of fishing) believe they can detect iminent changes!

Ive wrote loads on this subject in the past so wont bother here but if anyone wants it proving then just go fishing often enough! It is very apparent in the winter with the behaviour of predators and other fish.

John,I think that it is probabley due to the fact that they live in a pressurised enviroment ie water that they can detect changes.However as you say it might not be the actual pressure itself that they can feel that alerts them to the change / impending change.

Ive often wondered/debated/researched into why they can do this and must admit to never having found any "concrete" answers.Like a lot of things in my fishing I now just simply recognise that different air pressures and the resulting weather conditions do affect different species behaviour.

Its the way that they apear to know when the conditions will be changing rather than have changed that intrigues me the most.Us humans can easily differenciate between weather conditions,we can easily see when they are changing and to a certain extent can predict the weather but fish seem to be able to do this much earlier than us.

In support of what you say (ie its not the actual air pressure they can detect but something else) Ive found on a couple of occaisions that they have come on the feed (after presumably detecting the comming change) before the barometer has actually registered the change.

All very interesting stuff.Even if we dont understand the exact reasons why it is certainly something that I believe every angler should take into account when deciding to go fishing/what species to target.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!