Deep Water Entry

overrun

More newbie questions:

Tried several deep water entries today just out of my depth. A couple of things noted and I'm not sure what the conclusion is other than more practise.

1. Grabbed the far side of the Yak and hauled myself across the gunwhale, first attempt, the Yak came over the top and landed on my head. Righted the Yak and tried once more, very nearly turned it over again but with a bit of kicking managed to slide in far enough to turn over and sit up.

2. Grabbed the far side as before, noticed that my PFD and associated bulging pocket, knife and whistle all got in the way of sliding over the gunwhale. All got a bit tippy but while considering my next move a passing wave lifted me higher than the Yak and in I went with minimal fuss.

Grateful for comments or suggestions.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Hi Overun.

Practice is the key, and technique plays a large part too.

If you find your having problems, try a paddle float to aid you.

The paddle float is a bonus if your using one of the narrower Kayaks, especialy in choppy or rough water.

Have a look at this link......hope it helps you.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...Entry.html#solo

Bill. :)

Looks like you have just about got it. If you are wearing the right gear theres is no major panic needed. You can empty pockets if you need to. You should always enter from the seaward side as you can get a bit of help from some passing swell. The sea also helps keep you in touch with the yak without trying to plant the boat on your head. :P

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

More newbie questions:

Tried several deep water entries today just out of my depth. A couple of things noted and I'm not sure what the conclusion is other than more practise.

1. Grabbed the far side of the Yak and hauled myself across the gunwhale, first attempt, the Yak came over the top and landed on my head. Righted the Yak and tried once more, very nearly turned it over again but with a bit of kicking managed to slide in far enough to turn over and sit up.

2. Grabbed the far side as before, noticed that my PFD and associated bulging pocket, knife and whistle all got in the way of sliding over the gunwhale. All got a bit tippy but while considering my next move a passing wave lifted me higher than the Yak and in I went with minimal fuss.

Grateful for comments or suggestions.

Here's a calm water re-entry onto a Scupper Pro. It gives you an idea of the correct technique to adopt.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/salin...chestietest.flv

Brian's next video will be an eskimo roll in a S'pro with his thigh straps on... :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Edited by Neil

Thanks guys, some useful points there, bit more splashing about next time until I get it right.

Edit: Thanks Neil, looks like his right arm is not going to the far side of the Yak and definately no tipping of the Yak. However, does look like he is standing on the bottom rather than floating in deep water.

Edited by overrun

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Here's a calm water re-entry onto a Scupper Pro. It gives you an idea of the correct technique to adopt.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/salin...chestietest.flv

Brian's next video will be an eskimo roll in a S'pro with his thigh straps on... :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Pollata roll might be possible with a clean yak :yeah:

Followed by a bacon roll in celebration :)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Thanks guys, some useful points there, bit more splashing about next time until I get it right.

Edit: Thanks Neil, looks like his right arm is not going to the far side of the Yak and definately no tipping of the Yak. However, does look like he is standing on the bottom rather than floating in deep water.

I see what you mean by the standing on the bottom theory. I can assure you though that Brian is 6' 2" tall. The clip was taken in the outer harbour at Burnmouth, SW Scotland, as can be seen by the backdrop. The water there at HW is slightly deeper than 6', nearer 20' I would say. :thumbs:

Neil

Edited by Neil

Pollata roll might be possible with a clean yak :yeah:

Followed by a bacon roll in celebration :)

I will take the bacon on Sunday incase we have success. I will take a better camera as well and get some footage, good or bad.

Neil. :lol:

An open sea re-entry taken today, bit of motion on the sea as well. no chest waders on today though.... :yeah:

th_reentry.jpg

I Might just have a Pollata roll clip for you as well Darnsarf..... :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Neil.

Edited by Neil