Long-distance legering

Michael G

I was prompted to post this by reading the Advice on legering thread but I thought I should post it separately.

I am casting a large swimfeeder fairly long distances on an Irish lake. I'm not sure whether I am tightening up too slowly or too quickly. Should I tighten up as soon as the feeder hits the water, or would I be emptying the feeder and pulling the hookbait away from it? If I leave it until the line sinks and goes slack before tightening up, am I missing bites? (I think I might be, from the number of sucked-out maggots I pull in.)

If you tigthen up before the weight hits the bottom, the weight will be pulled towards you as it sinks, accelerating the flow of water through the feeder, and emptying it more quickly, as well as spreading the feed over more area.

Allowing the line to come off the reel as the feeder sinks, means that the feeder will drop straight down and feed coming out on the way down will sink down towards the feeder (but some will be spread through undertow). There should be more feed left in the feeder once it hits the bottom.

When tightening up, you need to be careful that you don't now move the feeder away from the baited area.

I'd advise using a braided main line when fishing at distance because with less stretch in the line, any movement of the mono hooklength will be transmitted far more sensitively to the rod tip, and being of a finer diameter, the line will be less subject to 'bowing' caused by undertow (and 'bowing' of the line will be another reason that bites are being dampened down - bowing increases over distance too)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

If you tigthen up before the weight hits the bottom, the weight will be pulled towards you as it sinks, accelerating the flow of water through the feeder, and emptying it more quickly, as well as spreading the feed over more area.

Thank you for that. But to ask what is probably another really stupid question, how can I tell when the feeder has hit the bottom?

I always clip up when fishing at at a distance. If you don't then the chances are your distance will alter during the session. If I am fishing into deep water then after the cast, I bring the rod behind me before the feeder hits the clip. When it hits the clip, move the rod forward to cushion the shock, close the bail arm and follow the line down with the rod tip.

At distance, if you do the maths, there is negligable distance lost between a dead straight line and the angle the line goes down. Take into account the natural belly in the line caused by the wind and the arc the feeder flies and there is no distance lost at 40 yards(120 foot) in 20 foot of water.

The maths for those interested where the distance between the rod top and the feeder (X) is (120 * 120) + (20 * 20) = X * X

X is then 121.65. Now if the water is shallower the distance is less, in 10 foot it is less than a foot. As I say this takes no consideration of the belly in the line. Now if you can cast within a foot and half every time at 40 yards in the wind and rain you get in the ROI then you are a better man than me.

Clip up and follow the feeder down with braid. You will also see any bites you get on the drop and you won't have much slack to take up. Also another tip, use NISA flyers they are the most accurate feeders in a cross wind.

Edited by Waveney One

i use braid which helps greatly with feeder fishing again if u clip the line as u cast hold ur rod up and the feeder will pull the rod which cushions it causing you not to ping your feeder half way to eniskillen there is also 2 ways of fixing your feeder to the line i use for still water or the lower bann where i fish regular when there is very little flow make 2 loops on ur main line a foot apart fix your feeder to a foot of line such as 3lb mono then on the end loop attach your hook length if you hold your hook so it is aprox a foot and a half away from your feeder so when you do tighten you are pulling your hook into the middle of your groundbait taking into account youve mixed your bait proper so it is quite dry. the other method is when there is a flow usually this thime of year the bann really slogs through have your feeder sliding on a 3 loop system however only have the feeder able to slide bout 4 inches then your hook length 6 to 8 inches away from ur feeder mix your groundbait slightly wetter when you cast prop your rod in the air preffebly with a back board just cast and leave the tow will pull ur rod in a bent position so in effect ur rod is holding ur feeder on the deck when the fish take the bait they relise the feeder teh tow then takes the feeder down hooking the fish so in effect its similar to a method feeder you will detect ur bite by the rod will go slack then bend round back to its original position so a drop back bite as such. this is the tactics i use on the lower bann and eniskillen for bream and many a pleasure day ive had 150lb plus

hope that is a help if not get back in contact and i will try and help

stu

tight lines

Thanks to everyone for that. It makes sense in theory but I need to try it in practice (before the water gets too cold). Last time out, my own fault because I didn't pack the right gear, I found myself fishing with floating braid (I didn't even know there was such a thing, and I certainly don't remember buying it).