types of livebait

oneillbox

just a question really to ask if what happened to me today is a rare event, i was pike fishing at a local lake/gravel pit. standard jardine snap tackle with 2 barbless trebles size 8. i was using a 2 oz perch for livebait.......

and bugger me, i caught a 2lb perch. i did not realise that perch were canniblas, i know that pike eat each other...but perch.. ??

Preds are not real choosy.

If they are hungry, pretty much any fish that will fit in their mouth is fair game and wounded = less effort to eat so is a prime meal.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

just a question really to ask if what happened to me today is a rare event, i was pike fishing at a local lake/gravel pit. standard jardine snap tackle with 2 barbless trebles size 8. i was using a 2 oz perch for livebait.......

and bugger me, i caught a 2lb perch. i did not realise that perch were canniblas, i know that pike eat each other...but perch.. ??

There is an old saying:

"If you want to catch a really big perch ... use a small perch"

Rich

"If you want to catch a really big perch ... use a small perch"

Richards quite right. Until recently I was dismissing the small Perch in favour of a Roach or Rudd, big mistake, they work a treat for winkling the 2lb+'ers out of the pack!

Couple more hints. Ruffe are completely useless as bait, I haven't found anything that will touch them.

A 5" Skimmer is my hot favourite for selecting the best fish, without disturbing the swim with lots of 1-1.5lb'ers. I favour smallish single hooks, size 12 Carp Match hooks seem to work best. The thinner wire, over that of a size 4 or six, ensures the hook easily pulls clear of the bait on the strike.

Seeing as there's plenty of Big Perch fans on the forum, anyone fancy running a single long running Perch thread over the winter, much the same as the Mullet boys do on the Sea Forum? It'd be nice to see how people's PB's rise over the months. I'll be giving you all a three week head start if your up for it, work, work, work for me unfortunately, made all the more painful after trying a new location and losing a right lump under the rod tip, on my last day off. :(:(:(

Still, I know where he lives now! :)

Seeing as there's plenty of Big Perch fans on the forum, anyone fancy running a single long running Perch thread over the winter, much the same as the Mullet boys do on the Sea Forum? It'd be nice to see how people's PB's rise over the months. I'll be giving you all a three week head start if your up for it, work, work, work for me unfortunately, made all the more painful after trying a new location and losing a right lump under the rod tip, on my last day off. :(:(:(

Still, I know where he lives now! :)

Great idea. I really like the sound of that. I've been lure fishing a lot for pike recently but whilst doing so I had a follow from a nice jack.............. but this jack had stripes and broad shoulders. And there was three of them! My heart stopped and then sped to 1000 bpm! I am fishing a venue where I have always seen and caught small perch but these were unbelievable. Never seen anything like it.

I only saw saw them for a few seconds and they spooked once they saw me but that glimpse has really fired my imagination.

Even if I don't catch them it's just great to know that they're there.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

A perch thread would be interesting :thumbs:

I had a 2lb 7oz stripey on Sunday afternoon from the Thames on a livebait intended for pike - a roach about 7" long! It was a tearing run too. Perch are very aggresive predators. If I'm targetting perch I nearly always use lobs though, as I don't like having to use wire. Just lately though I have been thinking that if I want a REALLY big perch, I may have to start using fish baits.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, it is unusual!

But not because the perch was cannibalistic. Rather because you caught it on a wire trace!

As has been pointed out most species of coarse fish will eat other coarse fish, including their own brethren.

Deadbaits as opposed to livebaits are very good baits, and I've had many species on them, especially when after perch. In fact carp in particular can be a flaming nuisance on deadbaits!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Ruffe are completely useless as bait, I haven't found anything that will touch them.

Ruffe are a poor bait if they can reach the bottom, because they will sit there almost motionless. Suspend them in mid-water and they are not bad. You can even fish two together on a single treble which seems even more effective.