My little towbar

paignton bazza

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone has a similar problem....

I live at the top of a steep hill on Roundham (Paignton) headland.

It's great having a choice of trundling down about half a mile to Goodrington sands one side, or Paignton beach or harbour about the same distance the other side.

Pulling the beast back up the hill is another matter !

Some weeks ago, when I was again gasping for air, the "My little towbar" idea was conceived.

After some experimentation, it has evolved as shown in the pics attached.

It fits in the hull alongside the C-Tug, and clips to the Prowler and car in under 10 seconds.

Now, a short call to my good lady to bring the car is all it takes.

Obviously, it is not suitable for long distances or speeds much above 15mph but it works a treat for my circumstances.

If anyone is interested, I'll post more details.

Yes, I do have a roof rack for long distances !

PB

post-9040-1162290834_thumb.jpg

post-9040-1162290876_thumb.jpg

The tow bar looks great. In my area we have a good sole mark off Barton On Sea but there is a long steep slope down to the beach & there's no access for cars. I could make something similar but attach a harness to the end. A call to my good lady could have her hauling the beast back up (or most probably me being left stranded :lol:).

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hmmmm!!

Poledark (on the coarse forum) has motorised his fishing trolley with a small electric motor.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...&hl=trolley

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone has a similar problem....

I live at the top of a steep hill on Roundham (Paignton) headland.

It's great having a choice of trundling down about half a mile to Goodrington sands one side, or Paignton beach or harbour about the same distance the other side.

Pulling the beast back up the hill is another matter !

Some weeks ago, when I was again gasping for air, the "My little towbar" idea was conceived.

After some experimentation, it has evolved as shown in the pics attached.

It fits in the hull alongside the C-Tug, and clips to the Prowler and car in under 10 seconds.

Now, a short call to my good lady to bring the car is all it takes.

Obviously, it is not suitable for long distances or speeds much above 15mph but it works a treat for my circumstances.

If anyone is interested, I'll post more details.

Yes, I do have a roof rack for long distances !

PB

On re-reading this maybe I need to add this note to clarify:

This is not a trolley.

The C-Tug is positioned around the centre of gravity as normal, and this towbar is then fixed to the pointy end of the hull.

The wheels are there just to stop the hull grounding on the road.

The tow rope passes through a length of cistern overflow pipe to keep it stiff, so the yak doesn't run into the back of the car on stopping.

The SS clip is attached to the tow ring that most cars have.

PB

" Ello Ello Ello...... Mrs Bazza .....

......Tail lights and number plates dropped off did they Madam?

this tow hitch ?

got this from Halfords did we?........

.........The Plumb Centre eh?.......hisssss.....

.....you have an engineers report I presume.......tut tut tut.......

....yes I know that you were only pulling it up the hill.....and, that it really couldn't be your fault that the other driver decided to embed his vehicle in your kayak....

but I am afraid that it really is not my problem is it madam?

..... and no, I dont know what your insurance company is going to say either?"...................................

Sorry Bazza, I do think that it is a great idea, but this is the Nanny State.......................

..........mind you if your wife drives a green, hand-painted, flower-encrusted 1972 Bedford Luton Van with no-tax & bald tyres, has a pair of mange-ridden whippets tethered with bailer twine in the cab, sports oversized hand-knitted multi-coloured jumpers, knee length Oxblood Doc Martens,dyes her vaseline matted hair red & green with food colouring, has a face full of rings, a tongue full of studs, an @rse full of tattoos, smells like a bonfire has a sharp lip and a gutter vocabulary to match, perhaps she may have more luck..........

Moonyaker

:schmoll:

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

" Ello Ello Ello...... Mrs Bazza .....

......Tail lights and number plates dropped off did they Madam?

this tow hitch ?

got this from Halfords did we?........

.........The Plumb Centre eh?.......hisssss.....

.....you have an engineers report I presume.......tut tut tut.......

....yes I know that you were only pulling it up the hill.....and, that it really couldn't be your fault that the other driver decided to embed his vehicle in your kayak....

but I am afraid that it really is not my problem is it madam?

..... and no, I dont know what your insurance company is going to say either?"...................................

Sorry Bazza, I do think that it is a great idea, but this is the Nanny State.......................

..........mind you if your wife drives a green, hand-painted, flower-encrusted 1972 Bedford Luton Van with no-tax & bald tyres, has a pair of mange-ridden whippets tethered with bailer twine in the cab, sports oversized hand-knitted multi-coloured jumpers, knee length Oxblood Doc Martens,dyes her vaseline matted hair red & green with food colouring, has a face full of rings, a tongue full of studs, an @rse full of tattoos, smells like a bonfire has a sharp lip and a gutter vocabulary to match, perhaps she may have more luck..........

Moonyaker

:schmoll:

Well, I hope you really enjoyed slappiing me down like that !

Your last paragraph in particular - was that really necessary to make your point ?

PB

I'm sure Moonyaker didn't mean to offend you Bazza, surely you can see the humour in his writing?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Few getting quite touchy on here :wallbash: Get yourself to llangorse and i'll sort you out with some tarts - should do the trick , its why myself and nifty always have that satisfied look on our faces :yeah:

Ok Prowler 13

Few getting quite touchy on here :wallbash: Get yourself to llangorse and i'll sort you out with some tarts - should do the trick , its why myself and nifty always have that satisfied look on our faces :yeah:

nothing to do with having a fit assistant working "under you " all day Martin I suppose :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph