My last MOG report for 2008

Snatcher

My ex shift parner Jill came over to Drummore at the weekend,it was her first visit to the MOG and she brought her son David with her who had just turned 16. Now David is a fluff chucker and had very little saltwater experience so he jumped at the chance to have a few hours fish off the shore at Port Logan with me.

I drove over to Logan via the Drummore shop as I planned to feed the boars on spuds on the way back after fishing. For a change the big yin was nearly on time LOL. We tackled up in the car park. I showed David how to rig up a sliding float and Andrew rigged up leger gear for himself,Caitlin and Kyle. We then set off to one of my wrasse marks,I do not think David was too impressed with the "leap of faith"!!!

I had dug some lug on Drummore beach the previous day and had knocked off a few limpets so we had plenty of bait. Andrew was first in with a bonny wee wrasse,I think it was the spark plug weights that done the trick!

1-9.jpg

Next it was my good self

to get a small wrasse on the slider on lug/limpet cocktail

3-7.jpg

Took this one of David posing for the camera

2-9.jpg

David did eventually get into the swing of things and was dead chuffed to catch his first wrasse

4-4.jpg

Andrew then got another two in in quick succession,the spark plugs had struck again. Next in it was me with my second wrasse,now this was a small ballan but had a strange identical white marking along both lateral lines - any ideas on this one team??

10.jpg

David was next in with a better wrasse and he was quite impressed with their dentition

5-4.jpg

Snatcher was last in with a better wrasse,all the fish were carefully unhooked and safely returned to the water. David was more than happy with catch and release,good for him

6-4.jpg

The final score was Andrew 4 and David and I 3 fish each. Caitlin had lost interest in the fishing and was texting a mate of hers during the session,she also done the camerawork - thanks for that Caitlin. Kyle had also become bored and just started climbing the biggest rocks he could find much to Andrews annoyance. Thats kids for you.

Well it had been a great little session and my main object had been achieved,David had caught fish.We walked back to the carpark to find that the ladies had arrived and had had a couple of beers in the Port Logan boozer,the sly so and so's After tackling down we lined up for a "team photo"

7-4.jpg

Then it was a drive back to Drummore via the Killumpha road to stop off at the boar field. David had never fed them before and was most impressed how they snaffled down potatoes

8-4.jpg

It was back to the van after that for a quick tidy up and a few drinks on the veranda and then over the Clash for a meal. Andrew nearly took a fit when he thought he had been missed out on the pudding course,it was just a bit late that was all.

9-3.jpg

After the meal it was back to the van for a few more bevvies and some quality time swapping yarns.Andrew and the kids slept over with us and I felt quite tearful as we said our goodbyes for 2008 the next morning

Our van on the Clashwhannon site is now closed for the winter and we off to Australia on Sunday for two months.I will be doing quite a bit of fishing over there and will hopefully be posting up reports when I can manage to get internet access.

This is my last MOG report of the year,just hope you have all enjoyed them. Roll on 2009 and more MOG reports

Snatcher

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

My ex shift parner Jill came over to Drummore at the weekend,it was her first visit to the MOG and she brought her son David with her who had just turned 16. Now David is a fluff chucker and had very little saltwater experience so he jumped at the chance to have a few hours fish off the shore at Port Logan with me.

I drove over to Logan via the Drummore shop as I planned to feed the boars on spuds on the way back after fishing. For a change the big yin was nearly on time LOL. We tackled up in the car park. I showed David how to rig up a sliding float and Andrew rigged up leger gear for himself,Caitlin and Kyle. We then set off to one of my wrasse marks,I do not think David was too impressed with the "leap of faith"!!!

I had dug some lug on Drummore beach the previous day and had knocked off a few limpets so we had plenty of bait. Andrew was first in with a bonny wee wrasse,I think it was the spark plug weights that done the trick!

1-9.jpg

Next it was my good self

to get a small wrasse on the slider on lug/limpet cocktail

3-7.jpg

Took this one of David posing for the camera

2-9.jpg

David did eventually get into the swing of things and was dead chuffed to catch his first wrasse

4-4.jpg

Andrew then got another two in in quick succession,the spark plugs had struck again. Next in it was me with my second wrasse,now this was a small ballan but had a strange identical white marking along both lateral lines - any ideas on this one team??

10.jpg

David was next in with a better wrasse and he was quite impressed with their dentition

5-4.jpg

Snatcher was last in with a better wrasse,all the fish were carefully unhooked and safely returned to the water. David was more than happy with catch and release,good for him

6-4.jpg

The final score was Andrew 4 and David and I 3 fish each. Caitlin had lost interest in the fishing and was texting a mate of hers during the session,she also done the camerawork - thanks for that Caitlin. Kyle had also become bored and just started climbing the biggest rocks he could find much to Andrews annoyance. Thats kids for you.

Well it had been a great little session and my main object had been achieved,David had caught fish.We walked back to the carpark to find that the ladies had arrived and had had a couple of beers in the Port Logan boozer,the sly so and so's After tackling down we lined up for a "team photo"

7-4.jpg

Then it was a drive back to Drummore via the Killumpha road to stop off at the boar field. David had never fed them before and was most impressed how they snaffled down potatoes

8-4.jpg

It was back to the van after that for a quick tidy up and a few drinks on the veranda and then over the Clash for a meal. Andrew nearly took a fit when he thought he had been missed out on the pudding course,it was just a bit late that was all.

9-3.jpg

After the meal it was back to the van for a few more bevvies and some quality time swapping yarns.Andrew and the kids slept over with us and I felt quite tearful as we said our goodbyes for 2008 the next morning

Our van on the Clashwhannon site is now closed for the winter and we off to Australia on Sunday for two months.I will be doing quite a bit of fishing over there and will hopefully be posting up reports when I can manage to get internet access.

This is my last MOG report of the year,just hope you have all enjoyed them. Roll on 2009 and more MOG reports

Snatcher

Hi Snatcher.

What part of Australia are you bound for?.

I spend a bit of time that way myself and would be very interested to exchange information with you.

Regards

Paddy W.

Arrive in Sydney 25th Sept. Staying there for two weeks and then hiring a campervan and off to Melbourne/Adelaide. Then flying up to Cairns for a while before flying back to Sydney :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Arrive in Sydney 25th Sept. Staying there for two weeks and then hiring a campervan and off to Melbourne/Adelaide. Then flying up to Cairns for a while before flying back to Sydney :)

Hi Snatcher

Thanks for that.

We spend quite a bit of time around Geelong, which is about 60km around the bay from Melbourne.

Lots of jettys and piers in that area, particually good for an enjoyable evening is Cunningham pier, most of the locals use very small gear down the edge with tiny bits of chicken breast, thumb nail size for Brim and pinky snapper.

A salted blue bait or white bait ledgered a bit further off sometimes picks up a bango shark or the like.

If you are not pushed for time you will observe Geelong is the start of a perninsular at the end of which is Queens Cliff, this area is all well worth a look.

A top spot for bait and infomation is MARIO'S BAITS shop in Geelong, most service stations in the area and along the Great Ocean Road have a freezer containing Mario's Bait.

Mary and I find for an entertaining evening a Chuck breast from the supermarket is lots and in most cases better results.

Asuming you are traveling up the Great Ocean Road you will see lots of opportunities for surf beaches and streams running in to the sea, all worth a look.

The jetty at Appolo Bay is never without a few anglers as is the break water at Portland Harbour.

All good fun.Don't forget a rod lisence is required for ALL forms of fishing, even rock pooling for Abalony.

Most of all don't for get the firey ball in the sky and as the ozzys say SLIP SLAP SLOP.

Have a great adventure

Paddy W

Good stuff mate, hope you enjoy OZ, we'll all be waiting here for your "down under" reports! - show Rex how to do it!!!

Looks like I'm finished for the year too, unless I can squeeze in some Northeast codding in December.

Hope to see you and the Mrs soon.

Col

Tight lines everyone!

thanks for your reports snatch! i enjoyed all of them. take care and have a great time in oz! cheers mate. :thumbs:

Well the cases are packed now,well nearly!!!! joined a Sydney fishing forum http://www.sydneyfishfinder.com.au/sffforu...read.php?t=3857

On their advice will buy my rod/reel over there,just taking a few bits and bobs with me. Depending on my internet access may do the odd posting

If not will have stuff to (hopefully) keep you entertained during the winter :rolleyes:

Adios to one and all :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Well the cases are packed now,well nearly!!!! joined a Sydney fishing forum http://www.sydneyfishfinder.com.au/sffforu...read.php?t=3857

On their advice will buy my rod/reel over there,just taking a few bits and bobs with me. Depending on my internet access may do the odd posting

If not will have stuff to (hopefully) keep you entertained during the winter :rolleyes:

Adios to one and all :)

Thanks for all your reports and photos.

Have a great trip.

Just be careful on the more isolated jetty s down Cains way.

Last time I was down that coast at a small port called Windam one of the locals had been fishing with a few stubbies and a sea crock dragged him off the jetty and eat him. :angry:

Look forward to the OZ reports.

It was great meeting you again last week on the MOG.My wife and I had a great time with you and your family in your lovely retirement home. I would have liked to have done a bit of fishing with you but the weather put paid to that. Have a great time in OZ and like many others I look forward to your reports from "Down Under." :)

Safety habits last a lifetime.