Starting from scratch

PBWA3

Hi, well I needed a new challenge and yakking has got my vote :) I have been fishing for more years than I can actually remember, the last 18 years almost exclusively fly fishing. I once bought a 16' Coleman canoe to fish the lake district but soon gave that up as being way to unstable (If only the tinternet was around in those days)

So over the next few months I am going to get myself a yak, dry suit etc etc.

I am based in Warrington and fortunately have an OK 4x4 with my diesel paid for which makes travelling a lot less painfull on the wallet.

Once I am kitted out I will looking to hook up with others, happy to pick you up or meet up on route, my 4x4 will take at least two and maybe 3 yaks. It would be great to hear from any other yakkers, 2007 is the year I put some adventure back into my fishing :sun:

You've certainly come to the right place for information about yakking. ou can spend ages just trawling through the different thread picking up lots of important tips based on other experience.

I pretty much exclusively flyfish and decided to give yakking a go this year after a few trips abroad where I had yakked or float tubed. Flyfishing from a yak just seemed to make sense.

I bought a P13a and have not looked back, catch rate have increased and it has brought an entirely new dimension to on of my favourite past times and made me fitter to boot.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Welcome to the forum PBWA3.

Have you seen any models which you are interested in trying/buying?

I am based on the central south coast quite a way from you. If you're down my way you're welcome to try my Scupper Pro.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Welcome to the forum PBWA3, take your time choosing the kayak for you and your style of fishing, I have spent most of this year fishing the fly and enjoyed every moment of it, well most of it anyway.

A word of warning the fly line will hunt out every hook, nook and cranny to tangle around, make sure that the yak you choose is clear of silly little clips in and around the cockpit and behind the seat, rounded eyes are fine, but some manufacturers have started placing little plastic buttons everywhere and believe me once the wind starts blowing then lines start tangling, have also found that rudders can be a pain as well, just something else for the line to wrap around if you strip outside the boat. My favourite method is to sit side saddle over the centre hatch and strip into the seat, most of the guys I fly fish tend to strip between the legs, but I can't get on with that.

You will also find that you won't need that 8/9 wt unless it is very windy, 6 wt is perfect and far more sporting.

Hopefully we can all meet up at the next Welsh Trip early spring 2007.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks guys, I am in the process of forming a short list of yaks, with your help hopefully I will not repeat the mistakes I made with the Coleman.

At present I have the Prowler 13 and Tarpon 160i on my list and thats it, I noticed the drifter on ebay but don't know that much about them. The advice on line tangle is good but then with that many yaks Marv should know :P

As for the Welsh, yep I am right up for that, thanks again Paul

I got the P15 as there wasn't a 13 available. I love it, but I think the manouevrability on the 13 would be advantageous for fly fishing. Me, I just paddle around with rods trolling out the back so it's no bother for that. It's been a massive boon for my fishing, landing way more than ever before as well as being a great way to fish and good family fun without the rods too. Good for Broadland pub crawls too.

To keep me dry and warm I bought a Mustad bib and brace (£30) and to keep me floating a Fladen PFD (£30 or so). Feet will shortly be in waterproof and warm Chota Mukluk Lights (£60 if buying in the UK) - but I can't rate them yet. While the bloke in the fishing shop wanted to sell me some of the carp-anglers trendy-yet-effeminate 'Realtree' camouflage (****s. Green and brown granny tablecloth) it's not neccesary. A 15ft yellow kayak will not be disguised by it.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

not sure if you know but once u post 15 times you will be free to type away and receive/send pms!

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Ohh just seen web images of the prowler elite 4.5 which looks like it might be made for me, does any one have first or second knowledge of this, not silly money either :)

Hi there,

I'm in the same boat as you, not literally! Just bought tarpon 120.

I live near Northwich and dont have any kayak experience but am also, mainly, a fly fisherman.

Intend looking for bass oof the North Wales coast next summer.

If you fancy teaming up at all get in touch.