New reel.

Guest monolito

Guest monolito

You'll have to bare with me whilst i still figure out how best to use this site because i have only recently posted a similar thread in the replies section.

My question is, i am just about to purchase a john wilson avon feeder rod, (on recommendation from a member) My current reels are Mitchell 300A's, Abu C/F's And an old centre pin, i have been advised by a fellow angler that if i want to incorporate carp fishing during a session, i will require a bait runner reel??

After looking at several on offer at various on line stores, i'm a little bit baffled by the " rear drag, and front drag options" if any member can enlighten me with the pro's and con's of the to types i will be more than grateful.......................... I'm getting there.....

PS: Any line preferences would help also.

PP: I'm sorry if my questions are a bit vague :help:

You'll have to bare with me whilst i still figure out how best to use this site because i have only recently posted a similar thread in the replies section.

My question is, i am just about to purchase a john wilson avon feeder rod, (on recommendation from a member) My current reels are Mitchell 300A's, Abu C/F's And an old centre pin, i have been advised by a fellow angler that if i want to incorporate carp fishing during a session, i will require a bait runner reel??

After looking at several on offer at various on line stores, i'm a little bit baffled by the " rear drag, and front drag options" if any member can enlighten me with the pro's and con's of the to types i will be more than grateful.......................... I'm getting there.....

PS: Any line preferences would help also.

PP: I'm sorry if my questions are a bit vague :help:

Monolito, I think you are refering to the clutch systems, on most older reels you tightened/loosened the plate holding on your spool to let line slip at the rate you required, most modern reels have the facility on the back of the reel, a knob that can be tightened / loosened to allow line to be pulled off the spool.

I have a pair of Okuma baitrunner reels, can't remember the name, 9 ball bearing ones with front drag they do me fine, 400 series, so not too big for tenching or the like

You only really need a baitrunner type reel if you are planning on ledgering for carp with bolt rigs, and even thenyou could use on of your exisiting reels and simply leave the bail-arm open while fishing (you'll need a lineclip in breezy weather)

Alternatively stick your centrepin on the Avon rod, and floatfish for the carp in the margins - much more fun :)

Mat

Mat

Fixed spool reels are available with the main clutch adjustment at the front (usual in the US and probably more robust) or in the rear (UK and easier to adjust with a fish on).

Fixed spool reels with a 'baitrunner' (Shimano has a trademark on that term but it is in pretty common usage for reels with the same feature) have an additional freespool clutch that can be used with the bail closed and is adjusted seperately from the main clutch.

If you are fishing with rods on a rest, you need some way for fish to take line without pulling your rig into the water. Open bail works but you have no control over the line and it can simply spring off the spool. Also if fishing a river with current, the line would simply be dragged off the spool.

With a baitrunner style reel, you cast out, place rod in rest, and set the reel to use the baitrunner clutch with it set just tight enough to prevent line from being pulled off by wind, current, whatever.

When you have a take, you simply begin winding in (most reels) or flip the baitrunner off and you are immediately using your normal 'fighting' clutch setting.

The baitrunner clutch is always at the rear of the reel so with a normal UK style, you have them both in roughly the same location.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest monolito
Fixed spool reels are available with the main clutch adjustment at the front (usual in the US and probably more robust) or in the rear (UK and easier to adjust with a fish on).

Fixed spool reels with a 'baitrunner' (Shimano has a trademark on that term but it is in pretty common usage for reels with the same feature) have an additional freespool clutch that can be used with the bail closed and is adjusted seperately from the main clutch.

If you are fishing with rods on a rest, you need some way for fish to take line without pulling your rig into the water. Open bail works but you have no control over the line and it can simply spring off the spool. Also if fishing a river with current, the line would simply be dragged off the spool.

With a baitrunner style reel, you cast out, place rod in rest, and set the reel to use the baitrunner clutch with it set just tight enough to prevent line from being pulled off by wind, current, whatever.

When you have a take, you simply begin winding in (most reels) or flip the baitrunner off and you are immediately using your normal 'fighting' clutch setting.

The baitrunner clutch is always at the rear of the reel so with a normal UK style, you have them both in roughly the same location.

Thanks everyone, a bait runner it is....