Guernsey Catch report 11/11/06

FishingGuernsey

The fish down here are going mad. Had a session for bream today and had a few though small, biggest was 1-6-0, kept it for T, others returned.

While doing this I was mulletting as well. now I know that other fish are known to frequent the groundbait trail but never thought on this one. Good bite, float vanished at top speed, not much of a fight but thought my luck was in until I saw a red flash. Bum. Little Pollack I thought at first but then it hit the surface and it's none other than ballan wrasse of about a lb. Stupid fish. as i said i know all sorts appear in the shirvy trail but didn't think a wrasse would take bread on a no 8 and 6lb line.

On another story, same day, my mate was bassing with a big worm bait and 4/0. Thinks he's into a bass, silver flash under the water, net the fsh and what is it? A bloney mullet - 3-10-0.

It appears we should all be changing tactics for mullet. never thought of throwing a 4/0 and king rag for them but hey!! Shows what I know...

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

The fish down here are going mad. Had a session for bream today and had a few though small, biggest was 1-6-0, kept it for T, others returned.

While doing this I was mulletting as well. now I know that other fish are known to frequent the groundbait trail but never thought on this one. Good bite, float vanished at top speed, not much of a fight but thought my luck was in until I saw a red flash. Bum. Little Pollack I thought at first but then it hit the surface and it's none other than ballan wrasse of about a lb. Stupid fish. as i said i know all sorts appear in the shirvy trail but didn't think a wrasse would take bread on a no 8 and 6lb line.

On another story, same day, my mate was bassing with a big worm bait and 4/0. Thinks he's into a bass, silver flash under the water, net the fsh and what is it? A bloney mullet - 3-10-0.

It appears we should all be changing tactics for mullet. never thought of throwing a 4/0 and king rag for them but hey!! Shows what I know...

:clap2: The anglers that target mullet in Alderney over the winter months use size 2's with ragworm and have a great time. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Nov 11 2006, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: The anglers that target mullet in Alderney over the winter months use size 2's with ragworm and have a great time. :clap2:

I don't think anglers here in Alderney deliberately target mullet that way, but they are often caught on worm baits meant for other species. Otherwise it's the usual small hooks, bread, meat, or fish baits.

Mentioning bread, that appears to be the number one bait for black bream. My mate and I (Alderney Bassman) have been using mulleting float tactics with a fishy groundbait to good effect recently and have had good catches of decent sized (2lb plus) bream, whereas most bream I've had on bottom gear on squid and worm have been very small.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Nov 11 2006, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I don't think anglers here in Alderney deliberately target mullet that way, but they are often caught on worm baits meant for other species. Otherwise it's the usual small hooks, bread, meat, or fish baits.

Mentioning bread, that appears to be the number one bait for black bream. My mate and I (Alderney Bassman) have been using mulleting float tactics with a fishy groundbait to good effect recently and have had good catches of decent sized (2lb plus) bream, whereas most bream I've had on bottom gear on squid and worm have been very small.

:clap2: Will the bream and mullet still be there after Christmas? :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Nov 12 2006, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably not the bream, though it's not unknown to get the odd few in January. Mullet fishing here is usually at its best from late January to early April with FEb/March being the best of all. Having said that, there have been a good few fish in the 5lb bracket caught recently but that is probably down to visiting anglers spending a lot of hours fishing for them.

Do I detect an Alderney trip on the cards post Xmas, Norm?

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Nov 12 2006, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Not if SANTA bags them all. :lol:

He's got no chance! That big red suit will frighten them all off!

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Nov 12 2006, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Probably not the bream, though it's not unknown to get the odd few in January. Mullet fishing here is usually at its best from late January to early April with FEb/March being the best of all. Having said that, there have been a good few fish in the 5lb bracket caught recently but that is probably down to visiting anglers spending a lot of hours fishing for them.

Do I detect an Alderney trip on the cards post Xmas, Norm?

He's got no chance! That big red suit will frighten them all off!

:clap2: Yes, I'm looking at a trip around Christmas to promote the "out of season fishing", although there doesn't seem to be a no fishing season on Alderney. I'm hoping to do some inshore shark fishing and some shore fishing with Mark if the conditions allow. Not sure if it's pre-Xmas or post-Xmas yet, depends on Marks timetable as he's fitting out the new premises. I could be his first B+B customer. :clap2:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Nov 12 2006, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

:clap2: Yes, I'm looking at a trip around Christmas to promote the "out of season fishing", although there doesn't seem to be a no fishing season on Alderney. I'm hoping to do some inshore shark fishing and some shore fishing with Mark if the conditions allow. Not sure if it's pre-Xmas or post-Xmas yet, depends on Marks timetable as he's fitting out the new premises. I could be his first B+B customer. :clap2:

If you are planning on staying with Mark I think it won't be this side of Christmas. He's got a big job on with that place. It should be a big improvement on his old shop though. I pulled his leg the other day that as he is going to start doing B&B above the tackle shop, we would start selling tackle at Bonjour guesthouse. :P I think you might still have our number, give us a call or PM me when you are coming over. Maybe we can find some of those mullet for you.

Bill.

Edited by Puffin