Conger Rod

FishingGuernsey

Hi all,

Went congering the other night and have decided that my penn V3's even with heavy tip are not adequate for conger, up to 30lb where i fish at the moment (unsure of the big ones...) and the chap next to me had one of 20 the same night. Lost one under a rock a couldn't hold it with the rod.

I am after recommendations for a decent rod. My 525 seems OK for a reel and I guess I need 30lb mainline? Was using 25 but told ths is too light. I'm new to congering really.

Can someone recommend some rods for the conger, don't need to cast that well but I guess I want to be able to use it for other things as well (wrasse, huss etc).

P.s. I am not made of money but give me a range of rods and if you know approx price that would be great.

Cheers

Andy

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

I don't go boat fishing any more but, from what I can make out the sort of road that they use for uptiding should be about right. Almost any heavy rod should be able to get you out 50-60 yrds, if that's far enough.

If you use a main line of about 40lb, you can use a weeker bottom that will always give out first, so you are not continually having to replace line on a dark rocky shoreline.

Pulley rigs make sense for snaggy places.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Hi all,

Went congering the other night and have decided that my penn V3's even with heavy tip are not adequate for conger, up to 30lb where i fish at the moment (unsure of the big ones...) and the chap next to me had one of 20 the same night. Lost one under a rock a couldn't hold it with the rod.

I am after recommendations for a decent rod. My 525 seems OK for a reel and I guess I need 30lb mainline? Was using 25 but told ths is too light. I'm new to congering really.

Can someone recommend some rods for the conger, don't need to cast that well but I guess I want to be able to use it for other things as well (wrasse, huss etc).

P.s. I am not made of money but give me a range of rods and if you know approx price that would be great.

Cheers

Andy

:clap2: Deleted, I didn't read it properly, tired. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B

I assume you are talking about shore/rock fishing because you mention V3's and Penn 525's.

I have two V3's and 525's and they make great allround rods (That will catch a very heavy fish), but when I need heavier gear, I use the RT Axcellarator (Not sure on spelling) and a Diawa Slosh 30.

At 14ft its a bit of a handful fir casting compared to V3, but for hauling heavy gear through rocks a weed, it's the business, bite detection is surprisigly good.

If the do a 13ft version, that's what I would go for. I can cast the RT slightly further than my V3's but not by much, and I do need to put a lot more effort into the cast.

Bob

PS Good to be back Elton

Thanks im and Bob. yes I am shore fishing. boats make me puke...

Found that the V3 is simply bent in half at the slightest thing and though the reel can handle it, the rod is simply too soft. Feels like a spinning rod when You get 7ft of angry eel attached to it and hence don't get anywhere. great all round rod though and nice to fit in the boot being a 3 piecer, good for rockie bashing and general casting.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Had another thought, when the V3 was on the market, they did another rod in the V range that was well rated and in the same spec range as the Axcellarator. Just what you are after now.

When Penn replaced the V3 (And other V rods) they carried on producing the same rods under a different name, I think the one you are looking for is the Nor Easter (Or something like that).

I would couple this with a Slosh 30 or 535, with 30lb straight through line.

Bob